grass over mat

Phone

Oh, and I took Mats post on UH cradles, as an attempt at bringing some humour to the thread. Maybe he'll enlighten us when he comes back on.

I keep forgetting that we have a few people on here that seem to have had a sense of humour bypass

It was more the price than anything else that made me post it!

Mat

• Like 1

Mat

Guest twofoottwitch

I keep forgetting that we have a few people on here that seem to have had a sense of humour bypass

It was more the price than anything else that made me post it!

Mat

What price can you put on care?

Not buying hooks can save you a few quid!

Packing in fishing would save you more!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I got work to do, don't you losers ever work :angry:

Debating with you is bloody hard work, and we don't get paid!

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I have a mat as im told you always have to have one and most day ticket venues demand you use one which is fair enough.

However given the choice i would use grass or vegatation but normally use my landing net as i think its a bit safer to be honest.

Im not a rule braker when i fish but sometimes its easier to us a net or vegatation when know ones looking.

If its too big i won't land it!

The general rule over here on the big carp fisheries (mostly british owned and run) is that you must use a mat and in fact on many of the fisheries mats are provided. The state of some of these mats has to be seen to be believed, filthy dirty, dry, covered in caked on fish slime and baking hot from the sun, The carp caught are reverentially laid on these abominations to" protect" them by the same unthinking anglers who insist that mats should be used at all times. French anglers (unless they are carpistes) don't use mats.

I have said for years on here that the standard of Fish care by the majority of catch and release anglers in the UK varies from abysmal to appalling. I blame the requirement for photographing and weighing everything that's caught, whether it merits it or not.

Angling doesn't need more unhooking mats, it needs more anglers who think about what they're doing.

Steve had it exactly right when he talks about " experts" keeping fish out of the water for more than five minutes whilst proselytising about fish care. Complete nonsense.

It would get you banned from every game fishery I've ever been on.

• Like 3

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

You brought up the subject of 'professionals' not me.

Like most things UH mats have their use, at the right time, and in the right way. How many times have you seen them being used on fish of 5-6lb or less, when not needed? I've seen it many times. The 'professionals' at fisheries that say they must be used at all times, are not using common sense, just following the trend.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sick and tired of being preached to about 'the right way' to do things. In all my years I have tried to think, and use some common sense, in all aspects of my angling. While always willing to listen to other ideas, I will be the one who decides my actions, based on my experience, weighed against the experience of others, and (that word again), some common sense.

I'll ask again, what's your view on possible damage caused by using the rig I've described?

John.

Oh, and I took Mats post on UH cradles, as an attempt at bringing some humour to the thread. Maybe he'll enlighten us when he comes back on.

Whats a UH mat? Googles no help

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."