grass over mat

Phone

I hadn't intended getting involved in this discussion, but as a "professional" running my own fisheries I feel obliged to comment as I insist on unhooking mats.

Some swims at Wingham need an unhooking mat purely because they contain stones, some of which are sharp. In other swims you could probably get away with not using an unhooking mat most of the time. And I accept that many fish can be unhooked in the water.

Most anglers are very sensible; I'd certainly like to think that Wingham members are, as are their guests even though I haven't vetted the latter. However every fishery manager has to legislate for the lowest common denominator. It takes just one rotten apple..........

I therefore insist on all members having an unhooking mat. Most of the fishing at Wingham is session angling with a lot of gear being carried so the extra weight/bulk of an unhooking mat is minimal in comparison.

I'd add that when roving, I do the same as Vagabond and use my unhooking mat as a seat. But I still take one.

• Like 1

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I'm glad you did jump into the thread Steve, and I understand why you insist on anglers having a mat with them, especially at Wingham.

Just out of interest, and it might be a daft question, but if you saw an angler unhooking a fish, (say a 6lb tench), in the net spread between his legs, then return it straight to the water, what would be your reaction?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest twofoottwitch

Looks ideal for butchering a nice large carp ready to throw on the barbie bankside :-)

If you care so much and want to avoid "added trauma of injury" try leaving off the hook. THE number one guaranteed cause of injury to fish, and you do it deliberately!

Every angler has an absolute right to make up their own mind as to when / if to use an unhooking mat. If it is a fishery rule then you have to decide whether that water gets your custom.

Yes and I realised that this would be the stock reply, that is why I stated that not to cause the fish more damage /trauma. Of course you have a 'right' to do anything you think fit, but that doesn't make it right, in such matters let society judge, and on this one the overwhelming support is for mats.

Can't understand what the big deal is about using the things, or rather not using them, only on here, only on here. (despair).

Guest twofoottwitch

I'm glad you did jump into the thread Steve, and I understand why you insist on anglers having a mat with them, especially at Wingham.

Just out of interest, and it might be a daft question, but if you saw an angler unhooking a fish, (say a 6lb tench), in the net spread between his legs, then return it straight to the water, what would be your reaction?

John.

So here we have Steve supporting the use of mats, actually demanding, and of course he will be treated with respect, not on a Moral High Horse, and the usual guff spouted from the same old same old, about trolling snigger snigger.

Psycho- Pants?

So here we have Steve supporting the use of mats, actually demanding, and of course he will be treated with respect, not on a Moral High Horse, and the usual guff spouted from the same old same old, about trolling snigger snigger.

Psycho- Pants?

He is treated with respect, because it is his water, his rules, that is 'to have a mat with them'. And I said I understand because Wingham is a reknown big fish water, and because of the nature of some of the pegs. That's why I asked the question I did.

Why you have this paranoia about everyone being against you Neil, I don't know, maybe it's time to get help. You keep saying that this site goes against some popular thinking, and you 'despair' of the fact. Have you ever thought that the majority on here think for themselves, and don't just follow the crowd? You 'despair' at the opinions on here, but something keeps drawing you back.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

At somewhere like Wingham where the swims are characterised by wooden platforms, hard gravel and regularly mown short grass, I'd use a mat regardless of whether it was in the rules or not.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

John.

I take a dim view of any breach of the rules. It's not up to the member to decide but the fishery manager. Any other policy simply leads to anarchy, as where do you draw the line?

Of course, having said that, every case has to be looked at individually. If no harm is likely to be done then no action would be taken.

The same applies to my team of bailiffs. They're all experienced and sensible and know when to take action and when not to.

What is annoying is the situation we've probably all come across when a bailiff interprets the rules very rigidly.

Even worse is when there's one set of rules for members, a different set for bailiffs and the owner. At Wingham we all abide by the same rules.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

All,

Being a foreigner at arms length I took a look to see if "mat vs grass" was an issue. On the internet you can get a list(s) of the commercial fisherys in the UK. Without execption the rules of every site I visited all require an unhooking mat.

Isn't this subject a non-issue?

Phone

My club rules state that if fishing for specimen fish an unhooking mat must be used. So as I am looking to break the gudgeon record I must use one. :huh: I would not consider a 6lb carp a specimen, so technically I would not need to use a mat !!

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

These commercial fisheries don't, Phone;

http://www.farmoor-reservoir.com/
http://www.churnpool.co.uk/trout-fishing/

;)

(not if you fish for the trout, anyway, even C&R)

It is the norm in carp fisheries, and other waters with big fish. It's more common to require a person to have one than to use one - most places will allow common sense to be used.

My club requires them, but most of its waters are full of carp and tench and it's usually sensible to use one. Technically, the rules make no exception for river anglers, so a picture like this one would be out of bounds, but practically it's the carp they're fussed about.

WinterChubbing004.jpg