grass over mat

Phone

Steve,

Although I don't remember for sure I probably did limit it to "coarse" fish. And - some don't have their rules readily posted on their "advertising" site. I didn't really spend a lot of time.

Nice grassie

Phone

Guest twofoottwitch

All,

Being a foreigner at arms length I took a look to see if "mat vs grass" was an issue. On the internet you can get a list(s) of the commercial fisherys in the UK. Without execption the rules of every site I visited all require an unhooking mat.

Isn't this subject a non-issue?

Phone

Of course it is everywhere except on here it seems, I seem to draw quite a lot of caustic comments because they are in denial. It is a standard piece of kit over here, with everyone I know and see on the bank, I really cant recall seeing anyone in the last few years without one save a few kids that don't know any better. But fishing 'to hand' or fishing for smaller fish Phone it is not an issue and there is no need to use a mat, it is only the larger fish that could be damaged by laying on the ground.

Steve,

Although I don't remember for sure I probably did limit it to "coarse" fish. And - some don't have their rules readily posted on their "advertising" site. I didn't really spend a lot of time.

Nice grassie

Phone

Chub...

Guest twofoottwitch

My club rules state that if fishing for specimen fish an unhooking mat must be used. So as I am looking to break the gudgeon record I must use one. :huh: I would not consider a 6lb carp a specimen, so technically I would not need to use a mat !!

What? Why is that an issue with you...a 6lb carp would certainly need a mat, why would you look to bend the rules of the club?

Of course it is everywhere except on here it seems, I seem to draw quite a lot of caustic comments because they are in denial. It is a standard piece of kit over here, with everyone I know and see on the bank, I really cant recall seeing anyone in the last few years without one save a few kids that don't know any better. But fishing 'to hand' or fishing for smaller fish Phone it is not an issue and there is no need to use a mat, it is only the larger fish that could be damaged by laying on the ground.

Someone needs to tell the match anglers that everyone is using them...

Standard practise seems to be unhooking even double figure carp in landing net and straight to keepnet

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Guest twofoottwitch

Standard practise seems to be unhooking even double figure carp in landing net and straight to keepnet

That I understand, match anglers don't count. <_<

What? Why is that an issue with you...a 6lb carp would certainly need a mat, why would you look to bend the rules of the club?

You obviously don't have a sense of humour. That post of mine was ironic :bangin:

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I think common sense should prevail.

A match angler unhooks a fish in the net between knees OFF the ground.

Speci/carp anglers generally use deep nets and a fish needs to be laid on a mat to be unhooked due to net size.

When I ran matches the rule when weighing in was the keepnet/weigh sling had to have an unhooking mat underneath.

All clubs and fisheries I have been in had/have rule: All anglers must use an unhooking mat. NONE say what for!

Maybe rules should say: No fish to be placed on the ground.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

RUDD,

Ironically, that's exactly what the EA recommends - in the interest of safety, fish should not be placed on the ground. They do not go so far as to say "must" not or "may" not - just use common sense. Then they talk about "big" fish, "small fish", species, location. Curiously, they never recommend or discuss unhooking in the water.

Phone

I take a dim view of any breach of the rules. It's not up to the member to decide but the fishery manager. Any other policy simply leads to anarchy, as where do you draw the line?

Of course, having said that, every case has to be looked at individually. If no harm is likely to be done then no action would be taken.

The same applies to my team of bailiffs. They're all experienced and sensible and know when to take action and when not to.

What is annoying is the situation we've probably all come across when a bailiff interprets the rules very rigidly.

Even worse is when there's one set of rules for members, a different set for bailiffs and the owner. At Wingham we all abide by the same rules.

Thanks Steve, that's much what I expected.

Although the rules are there for everyone, discretion and common sense to be used on each individual case.

That's a far cry from waters where fish of a pound or two, are dutifully carried up the bank to be laid on the mat to be unhooked, for fear of a rollocking from the bailiff. I've experienced this, and argued with the bailiff, who just said "Rules are rules". I've never been back to that particular water.

If any water has a rule that I disagree with, then I have two choices. Don't fish there, or suck it up, and comply with the rules. On commercial carp waters, it makes the former choice even easier to make.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John