Tackle shops

maxaldo

A lot of tackle shops have their own websites now.

My local tackle shop owner was telling me the other day that he had had "loads" of new customers who came to his shop after seeing his site. They usually start by saying "Gee, I never knew you were here until I saw your website!" It does help that he tries to remain competitive with the web. He checks the prices online himself!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ Vagabond "The only time in my life I agreed with Des Taylor"]

Great :lol: sort of vindicates me, don't it?

:lol::lol::lol:

Rabbit, how long have you been identifying with Des Taylor?

Are you taking anything for it?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

A lot of tackle shops have their own websites now.

My local tackle shop owner was telling me the other day that he had had "loads" of new customers who came to his shop after seeing his site. They usually start by saying "Gee, I never knew you were here until I saw your website!" It does help that he tries to remain competitive with the web. He checks the prices online himself!!

Thats a good point. I buy from Fishing Republic and Chapmans angling occasionally and while visiting my father in law I went to see their stores in Scunthorpe. Spent quite a bit of money too...much to my wife's horror!

I still think a lot will stay in business mostly making money from 'pleasure anglers' in the summer months or people looking to try it out etc.

I always buy terminal tackle/bits and bobs and of course maggots from the local tackle shop. Rods/reels though are a different matter, usually have to mail order them as most shops don't have what I'm after.

All the time anglers need fresh "live" bait, such as maggots, worms, lugworms, ragworms etc., the Tackle Shops have a chance of surviving, but location is an important factor.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I was in West Bay Dorset last week, went in a great shop, Sea gear, game gear and course gear. Fresh bait for both sea and course, loads of carp gear, lots of good advice and they also ran charter boats daily.

The place was busy with a mix of locals and tourist.

Location was the key; the harbour was packed with tourist fishing and locals fishing the high water. All the local beaches had shore anglers fishing for rays, bass and dog fish.

loads of boats in the harbour going out fishing (with rod and line)

I am sure he can make a living in the winter from the locals but must cream it in, in the summer.

It was like Aladdin’s cave in there far more interesting than your normal midlands Tackle shop.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Guest tigger

I visit my local tackle shop for most of my terminal tackle and bait but have bought the majority of my rods/reels etc online. The reason for buying my rods/reels etc online is because the ones I want simply arn't available anymore from the Tackle shops. My local shops seem to be doing a roaring trade, I reckon they could survive on the maggot profits alone. I have to say I'm lucky in having several really good Tackle shops locally and one in particular Wigan angling in Pemberton is a corker. I've named the shop as I think they deserve a bit of praise they're a crackin bunch of chaps in the shop and the shop is packed to bursting with gear, it's one of those shops you can enjoy just moochin about in as there's so many bits to look at.

Guest Rabbit
:lol::lol::lol:

Rabbit, how long have you been identifying with Des Taylor?

Are you taking anything for it?

Pies lots of 'em :bounce:

All the time anglers need fresh "live" bait, such as maggots, worms, lugworms, ragworms etc., the Tackle Shops have a chance of surviving, but location is an important factor.

Very true.Other than live maggots the major influences on my use of a tackle shop are A) Have they got what I want in the first place! and B) Their attitude!

Sadly many dont carry exactly what I want so mail order is the easiest option and secondly most are a complete waste of time,especially advice wise unless its something you want for carping and your a begineer!.

I still feel that most tackle shops that go out of buisness have only them selves to blame and as such are no great loss.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I was in West Bay Dorset last week, went in a great shop, Sea gear, game gear and course gear. Fresh bait for both sea and course, loads of carp gear, lots of good advice and they also ran charter boats daily.

The place was busy with a mix of locals and tourist.

Location was the key; the harbour was packed with tourist fishing and locals fishing the high water. All the local beaches had shore anglers fishing for rays, bass and dog fish.

loads of boats in the harbour going out fishing (with rod and line)

I am sure he can make a living in the winter from the locals but must cream it in, in the summer.

It was like Aladdin’s cave in there far more interesting than your normal midlands Tackle shop.

+1

Very difficult to find specialized fishing gear i.e pike fly rods & kit in your average tackle shop....most stock a huge range of carp gear.

I am lucky enough to live not too far from a tackle shop which has a fantastic predator range (Rapala lures, fox bits, Masterline, Fox, Drennan & Whychwood rods) so every once in a while I'll spend a while in there hammering the bank balance.