June 16th - Results are in...

arbocop

Had my first take of the season no more than 30 seconds after midnight (baited last week). It was a big fish, most probably a carp, but the hook pulled soon afterwards.

Had a few liners to keep me interested, and finally nailed a 6lb 4oz chub at just after 4am. Great to be back on the river.

Edited by Sharkbyte

Tomorrow morning I'm going to Speen to try ledgered flake for chub with the cane rod and 'pin, this is really to try out the rod again having only used it once. I'll try trotting with it as well but I don't think it's going to be much good for that, we'll see. After that I was planning to go to the same venue as Viney tried today but I'm a bit put off by the number of anglers showing up so I'm not sure what to do now. The options are endless but I hadn't thought much past plan A.

Well done to those who caught today.

I expect today was a one off as it was fathers day too, the guys were clearly carpers with rod pods, alarms and bivvies.

I will be back there (or possibly just upstream as there is the choice of the weir and backstream there) on Wednesday. Kind of kicking myself for not sticking to my plan of fishing the 'barbel nursery' as I'm fairly sure that wouldnt have seen another angler this morning

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Kind of kicking myself for not sticking to my plan of fishing the 'barbel nursery' as I'm fairly sure that wouldnt have seen another angler this morning

Ah, that's where I thought you were, you may have seen Mr Plumb early doors had you gone there.

My plan A is intact then.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Had my first take of the season no more than 30 seconds after midnight (baited last week). It was a big fish, most probably a carp, but the hook pulled soon afterwards.

Had a few liners to keep me interested, and finally nailed a 6lb 4oz chub at just after 4am. Great to be back on the river.

6lb 4oz is a great fish at this time of the season, well done. :thumbs:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I could only fish for a couple hours this morning, I got on the river for 8 and set up in a deep pool below a weirpool. I used an 8ft rod I recently bought, and a simple stick float rig.

IMG_0180_zps28a47e50.jpg

First trot I had a small roach.

IMG_0176_zps64a3075f.jpg

I was getting lots of bites but had trouble getting back into the rhythm of the right amount of slack line to let the float run through properly but not too much slack. I was missing a lot of bites and I wish I had used my match rod as the 8ft-er was a bit short really. There was a trout jumping further up the swim but I had a few casts and couldn’t nab him. I was catching plenty of small roach, chublets, minnows and had a feisty little perch.

IMG_0177_zps512b9260.jpg

IMG_0178_zps5c936576.jpg

IMG_0179_zps2f8ef962.jpg

I was enjoying myself and it was nice to be on the river on a drizzly Sunday morning. I bent down to wash my hands and saw loads of fry, and when I wandered down last Friday I saw a small eel in the shallows. It shows the otters haven’t decimated the rivers like some would make you believe. I packed up about half 10 as the rain was just starting to come down.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I wasn't going to bother fishin' today. I'd planned to bailiff several stretches instead; to see how many bodies where out on the banks and go fishing during the week when the rush had died off a bit.

Anyhow, my fishing pangs got the better of me and spooled up some line on a pin, filled up my waistcoat with the usual bits 'n peices and shot off to a favourite stretch of mine. I spoke with several people who had all blanked and who were fed up with the weed floating down the river. One chap had only had one cast but his Harrison rod snapped under the weight of the weed when he retreived his end tackle !!

The river was quite low and a bit coloured due to some rain over the last few days, there was lots of that thick matted weed/ algea floating down stream and a lot of other bits, including large amounts of grass cuttings. There was thousands of fry in the edges and lots of them looked like they where no more than a few days old.

Anyway, I got to my swim and started fishing. It didn't look to promising as after having two trotts I'd had to spend 5 minutes removing weed from the float and my shot. Third time lucky; the float slid under and when I struck it was a good solid hook up and I knew straight away it was a barbel the way it stuck to the bottom. The weed was gathering on my line as I played the fish so I had to try and hold the rod up high to keep as much line out of the water as possible. I did eventually land the fish of approx 6lb or so. After another dozen or so trotts the float disappeared again and I retreived another barbel a pound or so bigger than the first. Not big fish but great fun on float tackle :).

licn.th.jpg

i1pn.th.jpg

Ah, that's where I thought you were, you may have seen Mr Plumb early doors had you gone there.

My plan A is intact then.

That was my original plan but for some reason I decided to keep going to B. May nab an hour down there tomorrow evening freelining or trotting (although lack of waders may hinder the trotting somewhat)

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Went fishing with my boys today on our local river the Fossedyke. Usually we have a productive day and lots going on but today was terrible.

To start with the river colour was completely abnormal, the river reminded me of a river discoloured by peat with a reddish brown tinge to it or as if someone had over done a cup of tea and stewed it. The results for all 4 of us were dismal and along the whole stretch no-one seemed to be catching anything. Even the usual Perch were seemingly absent with a total of five being caught over six hours of fishing.

So the first day back was a major disappointment.

I wasn't going to bother fishin' today. I'd planned to bailiff several stretches instead; to see how many bodies where out on the banks and go fishing during the week when the rush had died off a bit.

Anyhow, my fishing pangs got the better of me and spooled up some line on a pin, filled up my waistcoat with the usual bits 'n peices and shot off to a favourite stretch of mine. I spoke with several people who had all blanked and who were fed up with the weed floating down the river. One chap had only had one cast but his Harrison rod snapped under the weight of the weed when he retreived his end tackle !!

The river was quite low and a bit coloured due to some rain over the last few days, there was lots of that thick matted weed/ algea floating down stream and a lot of other bits, including large amounts of grass cuttings. There was thousands of fry in the edges and lots of them looked like they where no more than a few days old.

Anyway, I got to my swim and started fishing. It didn't look to promising as after having two trotts I'd had to spend 5 minutes removing weed from the float and my shot. Third time lucky; the float slid under and when I struck it was a good solid hook up and I knew straight away it was a barbel the way it stuck to the bottom. The weed was gathering on my line as I played the fish so I had to try and hold the rod up high to keep as much line out of the water as possible. I did eventually land the fish of approx 6lb or so. After another dozen or so trotts the float disappeared again and I retreived another barbel a pound or so bigger than the first. Not big fish but great fun on float tackle :).

licn.th.jpg

i1pn.th.jpg

Nice one Ian, that algae was hard work wasn't it. I christened that new Avenger with a 20lb barbel today, but sadly when i pulled the algae off it, it shrank to about 7lb. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep