June 16th - Results are in...

arbocop

Guest bbamboo

Good to see the updates and the john wilsons and pins "magic stuff" :)

Edited by bbamboo

Lure fishing the Thames for predators for me from 7am to 9pm.

Went out for perch with the light setup so naturally kicked off the season with a 10lb pike on an improvised lure 20 minutes in. Huge fun on the light tackle.

Attended the lure anglers society perchfest where 2 perch over the magic 3lb were caught - neither by me. I struggled for a jack & a solitary small perch.

Then on to my favourite big pike venue on the Thames accompanied by another lure maniac who came to England from a desert country only 8months ago & had never fished a river. He's now showing us all how its done with a great mixed bag including a rainbow trout(!) which came as a big surprise. I managed to make a mess of netting it so we didn't get a photo but I'll fight anyone who says we made it up! I managed one fairly modest pike.

I ended the day covered in my own blood (from pike related injuries)and rather exhausted. One of the better opening days for me. -if I don't contract leptospirosis.

Happy New Season everybody.

The evening at the Thames was also good fun, again no big fish but a slow but steady stream of little chub, perch and roach on maggot, and a small perch and small pike on the lures. We saw a couple of decent chub swirling at mayflies...I'm tempted to go back with the fly gear!

It's been good reading all the reports. Sharkbyte - big congrats on the chub, that's a huge fish for this time of year. Good to see effort rewarded.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Nice one Ian, that algae was hard work wasn't it. I christened that new Avenger with a 20lb barbel today, but sadly when i pulled the algae off it, it shrank to about 7lb. :)

:o ...you had me wobbling a b it then :lol: :lol: . Yeah, that weed was a nightmare even for trotting.

I fished the tide down for pike on The Broads, dead loss.

I fished the tide up for roach, wonderful!

What really surprised me was the absence of other anglers, especially as it was a Sunday. In years gone by 'opening day' meant being first on the water to get to the 'hot spots'. Not this year, sad really, I needn't have got up so early!

I spent the day lure fishing for Perch with my new Savage Gear Troutizmo, lost 3-4 perch and a few follows from others and landed 4-5 jacks including one of about 8oz. Looking at the hooks towards the end of the session and realised the hooks were blunt which would explain the perch all coming off!

I'll make sure to take a hook sharpener next time and get all the hooks sharp, the river was slightly weird, the big fish seemed to have moved and there was no indication of any fry so I'm guessing the fish either have only just spawned and are still in the spawning grounds or are yet to spawn so it may take a while for it to sort itself out or to find the fish.

I spent my opening day on the ouse just stick float fishing (no pin i use a close face reel)

Had around 10 lb of dace,roach,bleak chublets. And 3 proper chub 3-12 , 4-6 and 4-14 all on 3lb line size 18 hook.

only lost one chub. But as john said i was amazed how few were out i saw 2 other anglers yet expcted it to be busy.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Took my pin down to the overgrown and tiny river Len this afternoon.

Two chub, 2.5lbs and just over 3lb, and a 10oz roach.

Surprisingly no smaller fish.

Then I took my fly-rods down to the lake and had some fun with the rainbows.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust