June 16th - Results are in...

arbocop

My first session of the season yesterday on the river Blythe. Plenty of small roach, chublets, dace, and perch.

Biggest fish were 2 perch around a pound. Nothing big but very enjoyable, back on Monday if all goes to plan.

I saw 2 mayfly' s as well yesterday, they are very late this year.

Edited by jack1432

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

Really windy today which made casting a nightmare. I was legering lobworms, first swim I went into I put my landing mat (using as a seat) down and cast out, only to see it blow into the water, so bring my rod in, hooked my landing mat where the wind took it and it danced about like a flying carpet as I tried to reel it in. I was sure I'd have spooked anything in the swim by this point but I did have a bite which I missed. Tried another couple of spots then something snagged me in lilies. Sick of being in the wind I tried in the weirpool where you can get right down the deep bank out of the wind. Tried casting up to the wall but the flow was pushing my bait down the swim, making the line slack so that I couldn't have a bend in the tip (How do you combat this? Heavier weight? Or just slowly reel the slack in as the bait rolls through the swim?)

IMG_0205_zps485b4c11.jpg

IMG_0206_zps97d7e0af.jpg

Underarm cast into a cut in the bank at the end of the weirpool and had this one after about quarter of an hour.

IMG_0204_zpsa065154e.jpg

Really put up a good scrap even on 6lb mainline straight through to the hook. Didn't weigh it but i'd guess around 2lb. I felt like I could have done better today but the wind was a pain and at least I've had my first chub of the year so not a bad morning really :)

Dave

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Sick of being in the wind I tried in the weir pool where you can get right down the deep bank out of the wind. Tried casting up to the wall but the flow was pushing my bait down the swim, making the line slack so that I couldn't have a bend in the tip (How do you combat this? Heavier weight? Or just slowly reel the slack in as the bait rolls through the swim?)

Yes, you either use a heavier weight; let the line go slack soon after you cast so the lead stays on the bottom and have a long downstream bow of line (often giving a backdrop bite); or trundle the bait along the bottom by winding in.

A combination might establish what they want.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Finally got down to the Thames this evening for a few hours trotting. First fish was a bleak. Then a roach. Then a dace. Then a chub. It continued like that all evening, probably more dace than anything else. Nothing over about 6oz apart from one decent chub of about 3lb. I had a worrying break off at the reel (!) with the fish in the margins. I managed to grab the loose end of the line and nearly hand lined the chub in, but it made a last lunge at the edge and came off. Bah!