Day Ticket Waters in Herts

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can recommend a day ticket water near St Albans. I am not familiar with the area being a Hampshire boy but I have a friend who wants to take his 11year old lad to an easy water. The important thing here being lots of bites to fairly agricultural tackle and techniques! I took my 2 to Gold Valley down here - not my cup of tea but the boys can't get enough of it and thats the sort of place I think will fit the bill for my friend. But I don't get north of the Thames without a passport and the correct jabs .... :)

Thanks in advance!

Matt

this is a good day ticket fishery in hertfordshire.

http://www.ribvalleyfishinglakes.com/Welcome.htm

Thanks Peter,

I checked out the link and it looks perfect - even has tuition if they need it!

Where do you fish - I am a coarse fisherman, converted to fly about 30 years ago and just converted back when my boys got interested - and then I discovered barbel ........ :rolleyes:

Regards

Matt

I live a couple of miles from St. Albans but I only fish Club waters in the area. However Welwyn Garden city has a good day ticket water which fishes well, it is only about 10 to 15 minutes from St Albans.

Directions: come off the A1 immediately after the Hatfield tunnel and take the road crossing the A1, then 1st left and 1st right and it is on your right (when you get there you might have to carry on a short distance and turn round the roundabout to come back on the correct side of the road for the fishery car park).

The lake is well known as a good fishery and I remember seeing Ivan Marks fish opens on it a few years ago before he passed on.

It has huge Bream shoals, some class Carp & Tench plus Roach averaging around 6 to 8oz (Roach have been caught up to 3lb).

It is in large park land and there are toilets and a cafe there where you can buy drinks and Ice-cream. across the road is a boating lake that is used as a stock pond for the main lake and you can feed the Carp by hand in the stock pond as they almost fight the ducks for the bread.

There is also a short day ticket stretch of the upper river Lea running adjacent to the lake.

tight lines

BB leapingfish2.gif

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Yes that's what it is called (Stanborough Lakes)

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Try Gaywoods at Kings Langley - 15-20 mins from St Albans - very good day ticket fishery

Our chief weapon is surprise

Thanks Peter,

I checked out the link and it looks perfect - even has tuition if they need it!

Where do you fish - I am a coarse fisherman, converted to fly about 30 years ago and just converted back when my boys got interested - and then I discovered barbel ........ :rolleyes:

Regards

Matt

i live in harlow in west essex and at the moment i am mostly fishing the river stort for large chub of which there are many.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Try Gaywoods at Kings Langley - 15-20 mins from St Albans - very good day ticket fishery

Gaywoods is good but there are more rules than you can shake a stick at. As long as you stick to them, you,re ok.

The Tring Anglers have got a lot of the Grand Union canal on day ticket, they,re website might be worth a look.

Jim