A bit crumpled

kirisute

wvl6.jpg

Found this chap struggling on the surface of the water in my swim tonight. I think one of the carp that dragged through the iris in te swim must have knocked him off.

Rescued the poor bugger, got him onto a fresh iris leaf and kept an eye on him til I left....he aren't pumped his wings in a couple of hours but I don't know off hand how long that can take them

• Like 1

Full emergence should be finished in a couple of hours, and at that stage (known as teneral) they are still very delicate, they then leave the waterside and go off to hunt and feed for a few days before returning to establish a territory and look for a female.

That one (male Emperor) is almost certainly a gonner, it doesn't take much to ruin them when they've just emerged, a few raindrops in the wrong place or a bit of vegetation in the way as they expand their wings can be fundamentally fatal, but good on you for trying.

Edited by ayjay

I did feel his wings when I packed up and they were stiff; as you would expect when fully pumped...so I kinda guessed he was done for.....

such a shame...but nature provides..and she also takes away!