Runaway shrimps

wotnobivvy

My wife has just started a little tropical tank. She got all the readings ok, then started to introduce the fish. She has a variety of Guppies, and some dalmation coloured fish. The local shop said that if she put a couple of shrimps in they would help to keep the tank clear, whilst not interfering with the other occupants. They went into the tank ad were seen for a few days then seemed to disappear. I found them over the course of the new few days on the floor next to the French windows. One seemed to twitch a bit so she put it back into the tank, but it died. The second one a few days later was dead on the floor. We were not warned that they could get out of the tank. Is this a common thing

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

yeah i read about them, brilliant little escape artists. you would need to block up all the exits :)

as for keeping the tank clear im not so sure a few would do the job. i assume you would need an army of them. i think its much like when they say plecos will keep the tank glass clean but ive never seen any tanks, even full of them, with clean glass <_<

is it a dalmation molly ? they look cool and hardy too. ive seen one outlive everything else in a seriously poorly maintained tank.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Yeah, they do escape, the little sods.

Amano shrimp will devour algae in a planted tank, but they are recommended at a level of one per gallon which is a bit heavy when they are about 3 quid each!

yeah i read about them, brilliant little escape artists. you would need to block up all the exits :)

as for keeping the tank clear im not so sure a few would do the job. i assume you would need an army of them. i think its much like when they say plecos will keep the tank glass clean but ive never seen any tanks, even full of them, with clean glass <_<

is it a dalmation molly ? they look cool and hardy too. ive seen one outlive everything else in a seriously poorly maintained tank.

The name rings a bell. They follow you as you walk past the tank

Yeah, they do escape, the little sods.

Amano shrimp will devour algae in a planted tank, but they are recommended at a level of one per gallon which is a bit heavy when they are about 3 quid each!

That's the buggers, cost 9 pounds a pair !! Now gone for compost

The name rings a bell. They follow you as you walk past the tank

:D my rudd and tench do the same the will also sit at the side of the tank next to the couch and wiggle about hoping to get fed, proper characters so they are, watch your fish close enough you will see they have their own little personalities.

A friend was getting rid of a tank or rather, passing the burden to another friend and I was given the task of moving it all. She thought it would be a good idea to drain the tank half way the night before, to give me a hand.

Problem is she didn't turn off the heater and it cracked and split in 2. The tank was kept in a cabin in the back garden so the water temp was close to freezing and all that survived was that molly :D

Still living now as far as I know.

Is this it:

p-89834-molly.jpg

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy,

Yes thats the fish, wifey has 3 of them