River pictures

davedave

Recently joined a new club which is all river. I've been tracing where it goes on google maps and last night went to have a look at two of the four places I'd wanted to see. The first was in a lovely place, the river ran through a meadow in the middle of nowhere, but it was shallow and apart from the odd pool which I thought may just have been deep enough to hold fish it was a bit disappointing. Ten minutes down the road I got to the next spot, and that looked really nice. One side of the road bridge it ran along a wall of a large house, and into a pool before going under the bridge, where on the other side went along with big sweeping bends and loads of overhanging trees. Someone has done a good job of cutting out pegs to the river and it did look really good, got to be a few chub lurking in here...

IMG_0183_zpse2436b09.jpg

IMG_0191_zps8719dc0e.jpg

IMG_0199_zps9f4139a3.jpg

IMG_0200_zpsfe98c5e4.jpg

IMG_0201_zpsb6eaea68.jpg

Sorry the pictures aren't great, taken on a phone at dusk, but you get the idea. Also had this rudd the other night on hair rigged luncheon meat fishing for bream, would you say it had a bit of crucian carp in it? Or just my imagination.

IMG_0170_zps27fa555d.jpg

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I discovered recently that you get golden rudd and normal rudd. All rudd are bronze colour, but golden rudd are brighter. I think you may have one of those.

Inter-generic hybrids of rudd and crucian do not occur.

River looks good - a little featureless but good otherwise. What river is it?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I discovered recently that you get golden rudd and normal rudd. All rudd are bronze colour, but golden rudd are brighter. I think you may have one of those.

Inter-generic hybrids of rudd and crucian do not occur.

River looks good - a little featureless but good otherwise. What river is it?

Thanks, I didn't realise rudd and crucians couldn't interbreed, can't be a hybrid then!

The pictures aren't great, there's loads of overhanging trees and reed beds but I admit it could do with a few patches of lilies, something we don't seem to get an awful lot of in the rivers in somerset. It's the river parrett.

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Several variants of golden rudd; also a rare form called yellow-fin rudd.

Golden rudd:Add to Post

Yellow-fin: Add to Post

post-16901-0-42442800-1371730592_thumb.jpg

post-16901-0-33274900-1371730636_thumb.jpg

It's not size when it comes to golden rudd (colour doesn't change with size/age) but their colouration makes them easy targets for predators. I know of waters in the past with selectively-bred golden rudd where all the rudd are the golden type though as is often the case no big ones - rudd are prone to stunting.

• Like 1

Golden rudd, like goldfish and koi are the same species as the original 'natural' coloured fish but there is a genetic defect that causes the scale colouration to vary; got a feeling that one element (black?) is missing. Cyprinids like other types can change colour to a certain degree to match surroundings - darker or lighter for instance.

Within cyprinids there are families of species and hybrids don't seem to occur across these families so crucian x carp or goldfish all OK but not any of these with another group of chub, roach, rudd, bream, within which more hybrids are possible though chub (our chub not what is called 'chub' in the USA) don't seem to cross with bream.

Common hybrids in the UK:

roach x rudd

roach x bream

rudd x bream

crucian x carp

carp x goldfish

goldfish x crucian

Rare but occasional

roach x chub

roach x bleak

chub x bleak

silver bream x bream

silver bream x roach

silver bream x rudd

rudd x chub

trout x salmon

ide hybrids possible but no evidence as yet

trout x salmon

Hi Mark,

Brown trout x salmon? Are you sure?

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."