small river chub

chub chaser

Thanks for the comments. Yes - the Mitchell CAP is a nice little reel. Satisfying to use, simple and reliable, and muxh overlooked IMO. The spool also revolves the correct way - which most Mitchells don't

I dunk the bread until it's absorbed water and sinks but flutters in the current with the merest tension on the line. Floated beneath weed rafts and roots it is a fantastic bait. I find it fishes better upstream but often only downstream is possible. I do use crust as well. Float a few morsels downstream and listen for the slurp/plop of the chub taking it - fantastic!

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Went on the river yesterday as I had the day off work. My usual set up, tip rod with a 2oz tip, 6lb mainline straight through to a drennan size 10 micro barbed with a small bomb stopped by a float stop. Half a lobworm for bait. Had 3 chub all about a pound, plenty of bites, the fish were just smaller than usual. Had some weird bites I was going to ask about, i'd had a few knocks on my tip, then it pulled round, I struck, and it was all solid, just completely snagged. This happened 3 times, once I lost my rig pulling for a break, very odd.

Last weeks fish and where I was fishing:

IMG_0204_zpsa065154e.jpg

IMG_0205_zps485b4c11.jpg

IMG_0206_zps97d7e0af.jpg

Yesterdays:

The local farm kindly provided me with their farm dog to act as an audible bite alarm everytime I had a knock on the tip :rolleyes:

IMG_0231_zps40b294ea.jpg

IMG_0232_zps4c7d198c.jpg

IMG_0234_zps0b36a39c.jpg

IMG_0235_zpsa996971b.jpg

Really getting into my river fishing at the moment, i'd like something around the 4lb mark though :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

• 2 weeks later...

arbocop you into the retro bikes as well or is that one in the av a modern one

Yes, old bikes are a favourite but the one in the av is a modern one but is a model labelled a classic. I prefer single speed track style bikes as that suits most of my riding - fast and (relatively) flat. Its got a chrome frame and I ride it fixed wheel so it's very much like a centre pin!

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Yes, old bikes are a favourite but the one in the av is a modern one but is a model labelled a classic. I prefer single speed track style bikes as that suits most of my riding - fast and (relatively) flat. Its got a chrome frame and I ride it fixed wheel so it's very much like a centre pin!

Mike

I bet the retrieve rate's pretty fast...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I do use crust as well. Float a few morsels downstream and listen for the slurp/plop of the chub taking it - fantastic!

Yes, splendid, all part of chub fishing. But don't overdo the "few morsels downstream"

Some years back I did just as you said - Got myself in a concealed position about 15 yards above a chub hole.

Bread in.....................Glop! Bread in............Glop!! Bread in.....GLOP!!!

Bread in............and an enormous chub right opposite where I crouched rolled its eye at me and drifted quietly away downstream.

Not the biggest chub I have ever seen, but definitely one of the Upper Medway's better fish at 5 lb plus.

I interpreted that rolled eye as "Yes, I wondered who was throwing bread in, and how far upstream he was"

I now make sure a hook is in the third chunk of bread.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

some great pics there fellas......started river fishing again myself this year....cant be arsed with commercial fisheries anymore....visited a small river yesterday called sutton brook near derby and had plenty of small chub from 6oz to a 1lb or so.....not much else was showing mind.....had them all on double caster.......going to visit the river dove next week in doveridge.....any tips on best tactis n baits for bigger chub or barbel would be appreciated...

live for fishing