I need a new Reel/Rod, Suggestions please

ADB328

Im looking to get back into fishing after a good number of years out of the sport and looking to buy a new reel and Rod. Ill be doing mainly float fishing with some ledgering aiming for anything really from roach to bream and carp but not really the monsters but ill keep my fingers crossed just in case.

Anyway so im after a new rod and reel and i was looking for suggestions from you all about what to get.

Many thanks

We all have our love affairs when it comes to tackle. Now't wrong with some of the old stuff out there, other than maybe not as slim as new gear. I picked up a Daiwa Legand II during the close season, wonderful rod! Just so quick for stick-float fishing yet I hooked into a nuisance carp the other evening, wonderful parabolic curve, no hook pull, fourteen pounder on a size 20, well pleased. I do have far more modern gear but I often wonder why I bothered. As for reels, Okuma, Cormoran, Shakespeare, ABU, don't suppose anyone actually makes a bad one nowadays, just that some charge more for their name!

I would avoid the bargain basement crap that is available but I wouldn't dismiss the less expensive 'names', e.g. Shakespeare for example. More than that, bit like me telling you what shoes to buy. What I find comfortable might just cripple you!

Can't go wrong with Shimano Alivio reels and Maver Abyss match rod :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

ABD,

This is a SOLID carbon rod. Never seen it but I like solid rods. They seem to remain more consistant.

wilsonavonsystem.jpg

Fladen Maxximus Avon System - Save 50% These rods can be fished at 11 or 13 feet, as an avon, heavy float, specimen match, carp pool as well as three different tips for ultimate legering and feeder fishing versatility. Recommended for mainlines of between 3 and 6 lb. Test curve 1.25 lb. High quality lined guides throughout, on a natural woven carbon blank, ...

Tacklebargains Price: £49.95 (Including VAT at 20%)

WELL HECK! I thought it was solid carbon but the offer says it is "natural woven carbon blank". So, the Ex-Pat I know has some other Fladen Avon. I thought it was cool looking. Not much use in the United States.

As for reels. Always buy the rod first and then try several reels for balance, etc. before you buy the reel. So - let us know what rod you settle on first.

Phone

PS: Anyone know what "natural carbon" is?

Phone - you probably do not want a solid rod no matter if carbon fibre or glass fibre. Lots of extra weight and the action won't be much fun. I think all the good ones these days are fibre wound around a stainless steel rod then hardened.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Both Fladden & Ron Thompson market some extremely good rods. That they are generally low priced is bonus!

Apparently, with the off-shore wind farms, carbon is becoming at something of a premium. A good friend of mine, long time in the trade, tells me that modern carbon rods are very often not as good as older models. Seems that good second-hand rods are back in demand, by those in the know.

Re the off-shore wind farms, apparently the demand for high quality carbon in the production of those windmills is prodigious in comparison to fishing rods.

Both Fladden & Ron Thompson market some extremely good rods. That they are generally low priced is bonus!

Apparently, with the off-shore wind farms, carbon is becoming at something of a premium. A good friend of mine, long time in the trade, tells me that modern carbon rods are very often not as good as older models. Seems that good second-hand rods are back in demand, by those in the know.

Re the off-shore wind farms, apparently the demand for high quality carbon in the production of those windmills is prodigious in comparison to fishing rods.

I think you're right, just going from my own anecdotal evidence. Good quality older rods are very much in demand and still command high send-hand prices (sometimes higher than when they were new!). But there are also some really good second-hand older rods that aren't as fashionable that are really quite cheap and way higher quality than an equivalent new rod of the same price, and because they were built so well, as good as new. The trouble is though, you have to know what to look for.

Having said that, most tackle now is of a good general standard, whatever the price.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

any of the shimano alivio or catana rear drag reels are superbly well made and priced

as for rods head to Dragon Carp and check out there waggler rods for a good build quality at very reasonable prices. also check Fishtec out as they offer some really good rods at good prices.

I combine a catana or an alivio with a 14' Avanti waggler rod from Dragon Carp or a shimano tribal stc take down rod and I get superb results all the time from those setups.

Thanks ill have a look at them, Any other suggestions i want to get a good range then decide after that it also means i can pop down the tackle shop with at least a few ideas in my head.

Thanks again