In Some Waters A Minnow Is Not To Be Got…25/06/2013

Mark Crame

Back on the rivers and back to Izaak Walton for a title. Its true, in some waters there are no minnows and certainly its true that there are none to be had on my usual waters. So whats a man to do? Fishing for points, one per species and already with a name for catching mini-species after my great goby hunt of many moons ago I have, after getting most of my available normal fish, a few miniatures would bring extra points if only I could track them down. Now, I spent over five years looking for sticklebacks, finally found them, caught them then returned to get them from the kayak. I failed on the bullheads (a forty mile roundtrip) where Id seen them when I had hair twenty years ago and now my attention turned to minnows. Now I know this fella, who goes by the name Noidea, who has much knowledge of what is where and how to get them. Bullheads and Minnows he says? No problem. So I booked his services as a guide (ie asked if he wanted to go fishing) and off we sallied. On an eighty mile round-trip.

Well eventually we did. As I was picking him up my wife called with car problems and an hour was lost going to three garages. So off we sallied, stopping only to buy polarised sunglasses and coffee. And size 24 hooks just in case. I think there are some in the packet if not Ive been robbed!

It was about midday when we got where we went. Noidea had an idea (Ill call him Paul from now on, its easier and not everyone understands why us kayak anglers dont have real names. Im universally known as Snapper for example though my name is Mark. Its nothing to do with fish either, by the way, but my previous career in photography). So, back to Noideas idea. Look over this bridge he says. I do. I see my first barbel and some monster chub. Were going to launch just upstream. Ill get my minnows and the bullheads are under here but thats what hes going for he tells me. Fair enough. Might be worth a dabble for an additional point (barbel) or a PB (chub) but for now I have a mission.

We park up. Were in a kind of secret spot. Secret in that if you recognise it thats fine but if you dont Im keeping quiet. There are of course clues in the pictures but I shall be vague all the same. Dont want a million people hammering the minnows after all.

P6250163.jpg

P6250164.jpg

So, back to the tale. We unload and carry the kayaks maybe a hundred yards to the waters edge, looks a foot or two deep. We return to the car for the rest not much, we dont need much. We dont need the scotch eggs for example so wolf them down and go to launch. Now Paul really does have no idea. He decides to not get in from the bank but to step into the water and thence into the kayak.

P6250165.jpg

I get in from the bank. I paddle across, fifty yards down he says to pull up and trot my float down to there. I do, single red maggot on a size 16, 4lb bronze line, 3bb float, Vantage spinning rod and the DX2000 5BB reel. Along it trots, dips, dips, dips, dips, dips and moves slightly (a bit of flow so Im looking for extra movement) and I strike into my first ever minnow.

The Minnow hath, when he is in perfect season, and not sick (which is onely presently after spawning) a kind of dappled or waved colour, like to a Panther, on his sides, inclining to a greenish and skie-colour, his belly being milk-white, and his back almost black or blackish. He is a sharp biter at a small worm, and in hot weather makes excellent sport for young Anglers, or boyes, or women that love that Recreation Or Snapper. Walton would surely have mentioned me had he read this!

P6250169.jpg

P6250167.jpg

All of two minutes, Im a point up and fifty percent towards fulfilling my quest. Great guiding! Bullheads now.

P6250171.jpg

The Millers-thumb, or Bull-head, is a Fish of no pleasing shape. He is by Gesner compared to the Sea-toad-fish, for his similitude and shape. It has a head big and flat, much greater than sutable to his Body; a mouth very wide and usually gaping. He is without teeth, but his lips are very rough, much like to a File. He hath two Fins near to his gills, which be roundish or crested, two Fins also under the Belly, two on the Back, one below the Vent, and the Fin of his tail is round. Nature hath painted the Body of this Fish with whitish, blackish, brownish spots. You may not like them Izaak, but you have caught them and I have not.

So I move down a bit. We spot some chub and pull up. Paul is fishing luncheon meat; I stick on a single red maggot. It takes a little while but thennicely hooked:

By a leather-mouthed Fish, I mean such as have their teeth in their throat, as the Chub or Cheven, and so the Barbel, the Gudgeon and Carp, and divers others have; and the hook being stuck into the leather or skin of such Fish does very seldom or never lose its hold.

P6250172.jpg

P6250173.jpg

A little while, a little chub.

I move on

Smaller than yesterday but third species of the session, a perch.

The Pearch is a very good, and a very bold biting fish. He is one of the Fishes of prey, that like the Pike and Trout, carries his teeth in his mouth which is very large, and he dare venture to kill and devour several other kinds of fish, he has a hookt or hog back, which is armed with sharp and stiff bristles, and all his skin armed or covered over with thick, dry, hard scales, and hath (which few other Fish have) two fins on his back.

P6250175.jpg

I find another spot, pull up where the gravel has built up and I have mere inches of water and some plants. Before me is a hole, deeper and dirtier. I cast a single red. I see two large chub come nosing, no joy, just another bunch of minnows.

P6250176.jpg

Ive been plagued by minnows since that first but now theyre jumping onto the hooks. I decide to capture them in their glory:

P6250183.jpg

P6250189.jpg

Then I have my first spawning male, with red on its belly. Such a beautiful fish, small or not, its a delight!

P6250195.jpg

P6250197.jpg

I head to the bridge from earlier. Can see no sign of bullheads or Millers Thumbs as theyre also known. Yes, I see large chub, yes I see Barbel, yes I have one of the latter close but no, I catch only minnows. I also talk to another kayak angler who isnt paddling or fishing, just looking at fish from above while skivingwe chat for a while and will no doubt meet again.

I move further down, see large chub but then it becomes less populated. I fail to catch. I decide to head back up, chat to Paul, scrounge luncheon meat, fail to catch on it and head back upstream. Hes missed a chub a while back, a good one and just lost a good barbel. Hes not over the moon right now.

Paul follows, we try here and there and then end up sneaking up to another bridge that should hold bullheads. It doesnt but we have a whale of a time in a small pool that has trillions of minnows, some chub, dace and 3 small barbel, less than a poundand gudgeon.

I have a dace after a few minnows. I like dace. Izaak Walton again:

you must have a small hook, a quick eye, and a nimble hand, or the bait is lost and the fish too (if one may lose that, which he never had); with this paste, you may, as I said, take both the Roach and the Dace or Dare, for they be much of a kind, in matter of feeding, cunning, goodness, and usually in size.

P6250205.jpg

I drop down in front of a small barbel, its back in the pool again. I watch as he feeds and I strike and Im over the moon but no, says Paul, its a gudgeon and sure enoughit is. The barbels and shape have fooled me. That said its easily the largest gudgeon Ive ever had though I top it minutes later. Thats two PBs in two days! As to this beautiful and scrappy little fish, Ill once again turn to Izaak Walton, more of a Compleat Angler than I:

P6250207.jpg

he is of a fine shape, of a silver colour, and beautified with black spots both on his body and tail. He breeds two or three times in the year, and always in summer. He is commended for a fish of excellent nourishment: the Germans call him Groundling., by reason of his feeding on the ground; and he there feasts himself in sharp streams, and on the gravel. He and the barbel both feed so, and do not hunt for flies at any time, as most other fishes do: he is a most excellent fish to enter a young angler, being easy to be taken with a small red-worm, on or near to the ground. He is one of those leather-mouthed fish that has his teeth in his throat, and will hardly be lost off from the hook if he be once strucken.

We spend a good half an hour plus trying to tempt these barbel, unhooking minnows and just dabbling, fishing by eye, casting, moving our maggots and so oncan we get this barbel? Can we hell! But what fun and what excitement! Like being ten again, sitting next to my granny fishing for mullet on the surface in the saltwater canal in Spain with bamboo canes and handlines!

Well thats kind of all there is to it really. I left Paul at the bridge and started to head back. Loaded up and waited for him, having caught some juvenile chub, seen a huge one from the bridge and watched a Signal Crayfish below. He comes back though telling me that he finally tempted that small barbel, had it on for a few seconds and then it was gone. Clearly that barbel never read Walton:

The Barbel is so called (saies Gesner) by reason of his Barb or Wattels at his mouth, which are under his nose or chaps. He is one of those leather-mouthed Fish that I told you of, that very seldom break his hold if he be once hookd, but he will often break both rod and line if he proves to be a big one.

We load up and go home after a most memorable session in a new place.

• Like 2

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Good stuff, and I like the camouflaged yak :)

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

LOL - I never thought anyone could make me sad I'd never fished for minnows but by golly, you have.

I can't remember how many years its been since I could even see a #20 hook without a good magnifying glass. Elton sent me a packet of them a few years back and I thought it was empty. I do well to see the eye on a #8 hook these days.

Your trip reports are great fun to read and almost make me feel I am there on the water with you. That's a rare gift.

• Like 1
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Another cracking read. I remember the eager anticipation of opening my weekly boyhood comic; opening your posts gives me a not dissimilar feeling. Splendid stuff :thumbs:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I'm really enjoying your posts Mark, great stuff.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Great stuff Mark, makes me want to go out and fish for minnows, gudgeon and bullheads myself :fishing1:

• Like 1

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Bring it on - when are you going again?

EDIT: And you are right. The gudgeon is a fine fish.

Mike

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Tomorrow. Possibly twice. Last day of the comp. session on the sea yesterday, loads of smoothound and dogfish, a ray and some whiting but I had those already. We're currently in second place - if my team mates had been with me and caught the same we'd be streaking ahead but I have more time than one and am not married to the same person as the other.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.