The Golden Maggot

bluerinse

Who remembers the TV program from the 70’s called “the golden maggot”?

I would love to know who the anglers were as I don’t remember.

I remember the contest was to catch as many species of fish in a given time, and at one point someone fished in a garden pond for goldfish and koi.

Does anyone have a better memory than me and could fill in a bit more detail.

I was quite young at the time but I do remember how much I enjoyed it and the whole family watched it each week (I was the only angler in my family) and thought it was great.

I would also love to see a remake, perhaps BBC (who I think made it originally) could update it and remake, But then again the BCC don’t do fishing anymore do they!!!

anyone know if its avalible on DVD?

Edited by bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who remembers the TV program from the 70’s called “the golden maggot”?

I would love to know who the anglers were as I don’t remember.

I remember the contest was to catch as many species of fish in a given time, and at one point someone fished in a garden pond for goldfish and koi.

Does anyone have a better memory than me and could fill in a bit more detail.

I was quite young at the time but I do remember how much I enjoyed it and the whole family watched it each week (I was the only angler in my family) and thought it was great.

I would also love to see a remake, perhaps BBC (who I think made it originally) could update it and remake, But then again the BCC don’t do fishing anymore do they!!!

I used to watch it as well, I remember one of the teams fishing in a zoo with monkies behind them catching Pirrahna to get an extra species. I cant remember all the names but Jim Gibbinson was one of them. It was great 'fun viewing' which attracted non-anglers as well.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I remember it well....one of the finest programmes ever produced by the Beeb......had me glued to the screen every episode :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I think I can remember the program title as The Fishing Race, competing for the Golden Maggot trophy. I think the late Ian Gillespie was in the first series as well as Terry Eustace. Also seem to remember one episode when a topless woman sailed pass one of the teams in a canoe.

Found a little bit more info

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=669

The program was defiantly called the golden maggot at some point, ( I can remember to title sequence) But now I seem to be having memories coming back, I was only 12- 13 at the time, I think the first series was called “The fishing race” and the second series in Sweden was called “The golden maggot”.

I now remember the zoo episode now it’s been mentioned, I also recall the topless girl (properly gave me reasons to have fantasies for months at such an impressionable age, topless girls and fishing, powerful stuff for a 13 year old)

I now remember Gareth Edwards being in the show as he was a massive star at the time. And properly the BBC thought it needed a big name.

Why don't we have a "GOLDEN MAGGOT COMPETION?"

It would be great perhaps we could get some sponsorship interest??

and do it for charity

I would enter with my brother as a pair, it could be 72 hours or 48 you could text photos of your catch to a Judge (who could post on the forum), and you would need to be issued with an Anglers net sign that must be in the photo, issued at the start of the comp.

Freedom to fish anywhere legal, course, game or sea, or it could be in two sections course and game, sea and game. Each team pays in a fee which goes to charity with a trophy for the winners.

Anyone interested?

Just a thought

Edited by bluerinse

I remember it well....one of the finest programmes ever produced by the Beeb......had me glued to the screen every episode :)

Den

bluerinse, just in case you didn't know, poledark was one of the anglers in the series, and apparently is very modest about it :).

bluerinse, just in case you didn't know, poledark was one of the anglers in the series, and apparently is very modest about it :).

well I didn't know, well you never know who your talking with on a forum. thanks

Intrested in my idea?