The Golden Maggot

bluerinse

Aw Dave, why did you have to blow my cover :) I was hoping to get some mileage out of this topic :) :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only remember Jim Gibbinson, Ian Gillespie, Brian Harris, Clive Gammon, Terry Eustace and that rugby bloke. I don't remember anybody called Den.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

There was no one called Terry Eustace in the first series. Brian Harris and Clive Gammon were one team, Ian Gillespie and Jim Gibbinson the second team, and John Darling and myself Dennis Darkin in the third team.

Gillespie and Gibbinson won the first comp, and so they were included in the second series. Beeb (probably the **** producer Mike Begg) decided to liven things up a bit by including a "personality"

The nude scene was a put up job as were a lot of the other incidents.

Apparently none of the original films were kept, my wife tried to get a copy for my 50th...no such luck All I have is a tape recording of the sound track.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Why don't we have a "GOLDEN MAGGOT COMPETION?"

It would be great perhaps we could get some sponsorship interest??

and do it for charity

I would enter with my brother as a pair, it could be 72 hours or 48 you could text photos of your catch to a Judge (who could post on the forum), and you would need to be issued with an Anglers net sign that must be in the photo, issued at the start of the comp.

Freedom to fish anywhere legal, course, game or sea, or it could be in two sections course and game, sea and game. Each team pays in a fee which goes to charity with a trophy for the winners.

Anyone interested?

Just a thought

Great idea, just don't let Vagabond join in.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

A great shame that no copies of it exist as it was second only to PFA in the TV angling league for me.

Absolutely scandalous in my opinion. It had its detractors at the time, but now it seems like a bit of angling history. If people can unearth long lost episodes of Hancock and Dr Who, surely somebody somewhere has The Fishing race.

Aha, just unearthed this: http://www.worldseafishing.com/features/gh...ts_legends.html

I remember when completing your first pendulum cast was as much of a rite of passage as sinking your first pint of Ruddles County (the real stuff, not the bland brew that pretends to be County these days).

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Great idea, just don't let Vagabond join in.

Anyone else intrested?

otherwise it will be a none starter I guess

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Absolutely scandalous in my opinion. It had its detractors at the time, but now it seems like a bit of angling history. If people can unearth long lost episodes of Hancock and Dr Who, surely somebody somewhere has The Fishing race.

Aha, just unearthed this: http://www.worldseafishing.com/features/gh...ts_legends.html

I remember when completing your first pendulum cast was as much of a rite of passage as sinking your first pint of Ruddles County (the real stuff, not the bland brew that pretends to be County these days).

Same as Peter.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!