fake corn

Phone

All,

On the way to the river today I stopped by Cabela's and ended up buying this package. Found the piccy on e-bay. You pay MUCH more for it than I had to pay.

$(KGrHqR,!pIFEliIVIT3BR)E9mdSkQ~~60_12.J

Enterprise Classic Flavour Range Pop Up Corn Sweetcorn

Peach x 3 , wonderfruit, garlic mint, sweet spice, squid, esterberry.
It popped up one for one - a fake and a natural on a 1/0 hook.
Don't ask the obvious question. I caught 3 nice carp (10 - 15lbs) and "missed" an equal number of bites. I don't know which of the 8 I had on at the moment. (Yes, I'm an idiot).
Water is still quite murkey (coloUred) and cold. River is very full.
Phone
(ohh, the Missouri River)
  • Like 1

Do you use hair rigs over the pond phone?

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

What kind of size phone? The biggest I use is a size 4 for king prawns, but you can get size 2s, after that you go into sea hooks.

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Dave,

Notice in post #1 I was using a "smallish" size 1/0. I switch between size 1 and 1/0 most generally. If the carp are being shy I sometimes use a 2.

It is not uncommon when I am buffalo fishing (a species you don't have) for me to use as small as a size 8 triple hook. The smallest single point hook I use is about a 4. Of course, if I am dink fishing I'll use smaller hooks depending of the size of the quarry.

Phone

More later, SWMBO is calling.

Edit: its later, much later. I would say the major difference is the greater variety and size of freshwater fish. Also, with the abundance of fish I'm never sorry for one to "get away". I always use the largest hook possible for the circumstance. One of my many "causes" is hook material. I don't use non-ferrous hooks if I can get away with it. The new "stay sharp longer" hooks also stay in the fish longer after a breakoff. Cheap hooks rust out rather quickly. It's a battle I don't expect will get much traction in the UK.

Phone (again)

Edited by Phone

What kind of size phone? The biggest I use is a size 4 for king prawns, but you can get size 2s, after that you go into sea hooks.

Dave

Dave, dont be blinkered by the sea/coarse hook displays in tackle shops, I use size 4s when flattie fishing, I know people who use 16s and on occasion 18s for Mullet when sea fishing or rockpooling for micro sea fish.

I have size one's on some Coarse lures and belive up to 10/0 catfish hooks are available in the UK.

Phone - over the years I have found bigger does not mean stronger with hooks.

The wider the gape the easier it is to open up a hook.

I base hooksize on the bait I am using and will use a heavier gauge (wire) hook if bigger fish are targetted and only increase hooksize if bigger baits are used.

Why dont you try one of your hook choices in a smaller size with a hair attached for Carp? A pleasent surprise awaits - especially when using that fake corn.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

RUDD,

You are 100% correct regarding carp especially. I didn't say I was still among the best - and certainly I'm not. I'd say, just a guess, a hair is 20 - 30% more efficent. And it is not at all uncommon for "Euro" style anglers to catch 40's on size #10. More and more American carp anglers use hair rigs. In fact, probably 99% of serious carp anglers. Bolt - not so much.

When commercial fishing in the Missouri River for "rough" fish (1955>) we always used hair rigs. Still, we used 2/0 hooks.

My experience, using larger hooks, freelining, stretchy mono (up to 40%) very few of my fish are "caught" by me. They catch themselves. I just "think", I have no proof, that the hook point comes in contact quicker in the hooking zone with large hooks.

Large or small I haven't had a hook straighten in a hooked fish in the last 100,000 fish, I don't consider that an issue with the hook but with the angler.

There is NO DOUBT in my mind snagging devices are more effective regardless of the fish (i.e. exposed hair).

Phone

Edit: I've tried your way and like it very much. Have you ever used a 1/0 on your hairs? Works GREAT!

Edited by Phone

Never used a 1/0 for carp but never had a problem hooking up with up with far smaller hooks, so it's not an experiment I'll be trying any time soon tbh.

Personally I don't have a problem with it but I think you'll screw up a few faces when the carp brigade read you've been hooking 'their' precious carp with gigantic bits of unnecessary metalware.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

The biggest hook for Carp I have used is a size 4 buried in a big cube of meat or paste whilst freelining.

I would agree that when freelining big soft baits (or pole fishing paste) a bigger hook works better but a 1/0!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!