Opinions for a meeting tonight

kirisute

heres the scenario;

off to my committee meeting tonight with a goal in mind to change the clubs ruling on surface feeding our carp lake. (ive posted here in course fishing for more feedback)

basically the club ruled a couple of years back to ban surface feeding entirely...surface fishing was still allowed but no feeding on the surface; reasoning was too much bread being thrown in and too much chance of foul hooking.

Now; my argument is to revoke this rule to a state of surface feeding allowed in moderation (obviously this will be at the bailiffs discretion at the given time); reasoning..the rat issue at the site hasn't changed at all since we banned surface feeding (the site is part of a farm complex and as such is ridden with rats naturally; argument was that waste bread being left behind was attracting them); and personally, and in the experience of nearly every fisherman ive ever spoken too, foul hooking whilst surface fishing is very very rare! in fact I don't think ive ever foul hooked a fish whilst surface fishing and feeding...

whereas the other night 3 out of the 5 fish I landed were foul hooked when waggler fishing either on the bottom or just off the bottom.

regardless...does anyone have a reasoned opinion on this? one way or the other?

I understand the argument against considerable amounts of bread being lobbed out and it can be annoying to fish next to someone surface fishing/feeding when your trying to fish waggler or ledger etc

my proposed rules would be:

surface feeding allowed in moderation; please take all waste bread home. (or something similar)

so...reasoned arguments for or against....im happy to hear any opinions you might have.

Sounds like the usual scenario - someone on the committee has a bee in his bonnet about a method he doesn't personally like and is inventing reasons to ban it. I think every club in the world has one of these tossers in it!

I've never foul-hooked a carp on the surface or even heard of anyone doing it, in fact i'd say it was the method where your least likely to foul-hook a carp. I couldn't really say about the rats but if it's a farm complex theres going to be rats about anyway. Theres tons of rats about on a stretch of canal I fish, but hardly anybody fishes it so it's nothing do with leftover bait.

I belonged to a club (didn't re-join this year for several reasons) where they banned surface fishing because it was tearing the carps mouths, this I think was probably true as you had a lot of kids fishing massive hooks and sea rods and just pulling the fish in basically.

Personally I think the only valid reason for banning surface fishing is people are being prats and fishing too heavy and not playing the fish properly so you get damaged mouths.

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Its hard to comment without knowing more about the club waters but I have to admit that on small ponds/little lakes surface fishing can be a real pain to other anglers not floater fishing. A load of floaters get chucked out, if the anglers do not catch he gives up and the bait floats in to another swim bringing in ducks etc spoiling their fishing. If they start to catching in the middle then everyone casts out floater rigs to the same spot with tangles etc.

If its a big water with few swims then I don't see why it should be banned but if we are talking about small waters that get plenty of anglers then I think its fair enough. You tend to find the busier the water the more rules get imposed.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Not a huge lake...22 pegs...mature and fairly well stocked with carp, few tench and small amounts of perch. Nothing else.

Lake rarely fished by more than 10 people at a time with let of the time being 5 or so

Kirisute, what sort of size, acre wise?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

2-3 acres at most.

That might be the problem, it would be easy for some one to have spoiled others fishing by piling in the bait in the past. It does not take much for any floating loose feed to drift in to some ones swim and if they think it has ruined their fishing they can kick off.

It's always difficult with small waters as their are always going to be other anglers who don't agree with various methods and label them unfair/cheating or that it spoils their fishing. I have seen the no loose fed floaters rule on a number of small day ticket and club waters and guess at some stage some one has blamed it for spoiling the fishing.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

I agree with Dales - I think the relatively small size of this lake is probably your biggest stumbling block. 2 -3 acres is actually very small for a stillwater, and it would be impossible to fish floating baits in any given swim without affecting the swims of other anglers on the water, even if there was only a moderate breeze. Your (floating) bait is going to enter many swims other than the one you are fishing, and perhaps adversely affect the enjoyment of other anglers who have just as much right as yopu to undisturbed fishing on the lake - I'm guessing that like most people, you'd take the hump if someone started launching a lead with a baited rig into 'your' swim, no?

I can't really see a workable compromise that would not have an adverse affect on other anglers ... unless perhaps the commitee can be persuaded to allow surface baiting / fishing on certain specified days each week, at which times other anglers would just have to take their chances ... or join in :-)