I'm thinking of taking up pike fishing!

Peter Waller

What is so different about anglers catching pike for the first time, than any other species ?

Apart from treble hooks probably being used, I can,t see what the issues are. :confused:

All fish need to be handled properly, with larger species needing an unhooking mat.

Unhooking any fish, especially deep hooked ones, takes a good deal of care.

If you want to find an at risk/abused species, look no further than the common eel.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nik, Billy,

I think I illustrated the point you are making already.

quote:

Andy: The first thing I do now, when I meet an anging newbie, is ask,

"Do you have the internet..do you have an E-mail address I can contact you at?"

After that, it's up to me to make sure they get the correct webages, the correct info. and some encouragement

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Cranfield, re the poor old eel, how right you are. Both pike and eels get a very rough ride from numpties and beginners. Atleast, until recently, the eel population seemed infinate, sadly no longer.

Stumac, I haven't a clue how many anglers there are on the Broads, sorry.

Re perch and wire traces, how right you were! But there were not many perch anglers using lures in days of yore!

Dear Chaps,

Who really gives a flying fig what anyone fishes for? I certainly don't.

"I'm thinking of taking up pike fishing"

I buy all my pike rods from "Poundland". Well, no point going in over gunned is there??

Solid glass rods, 50lb line. Nothing escapes.

Eat yer heart out Fenboy.

Regards,

Lee.

my club have introduced a special ticket for pike angling with a short 4 hour teach in to make sure people have the correct tackle and know how to handle pike.

already done for the juniors 6 turned up and all were ok although most if not all had not handled a pike properly before .

we will do the same for senior anglers later this year ,we are already getting a bit of stick with some members saying I've been pike fishing for 30 years why should i prove that i know what I'm doing?.well that's a good question and our argument is we see too much bad handling especially with pike and we do have some large fish we would not like to lose.

so if they can't spare 4 hours tough no pike ticket.i should at this point thank the PAC who helped us put together the information we use.

should we also do this for carp, well probably but with an active bailiff team they pick up bad technique or potential problems quickly ,although most of them are not pike anglers. would be great if more clubs followed up on this .cheers big al

[ 22. March 2004, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: big al ]

british by birth ,english by the grace of god

Did a lot of pike fishing a number of

years back, i suppose i miss it in a way.

But jacked it in, used to go Llangorse really

earlly in the morning got home 11 at night,

To long a day for me, Peter you probably may

help me, I've still got the kit, two 12ft

3lb test rods one northwest 2lb 3/4 11ft,

all with shimanno baitrunners, used about six

to eight times, they have been up stairs un

looked at for ages. May unload ?

Mmmm... touchy subject this one.

I took up pike fishing last year, am enjoying it immensely, before I cast my first lure I read everything I could about pike welfare, watched the videos bought some books, and I made sure I have all the right gear (budget doesn't stretch to shimanos and fancy rods though I hasten to add I do not use a beachcaster)

I am not sure if the right way to progress is to slag off prospective pikers implying that unless you are an expert you are a danger to pike.

I pride myself on treating all my catches with equal care and consideration.

Perhaps the image of pike as a 'hard' fish do it an injustice and much education is needed to emphasise its frailty.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Originally posted by Peter Waller

Am I being unfair? I'm sure that some of you will think so! But last summer saw a huge increase in pike angler numbers down my way. And, regretfully, the level of angling ability was not, in general, very good.

How about taking a look at what makes them decide to go after old essox.

You have boards like this where guys give a blow by blow account of that fish how big it was, how many biggies they have caught, what method they think is the easiest or more likely to catch, what method they think is the proper way to fish for them.

You have the fishy mags that do an article or a series on Pike fishing.

T.V. programmes showing the star angler catching them, making them tail walk and the like, not showing that they have waited all day perhaps for that one take.

Photos on web sites, some with exaggerated weights to the fish on view.

If you were someone who thought that pike fishing was a little out of your league, all this makes them think that it's easy, or very exciting, and who can blame them, its only when they have caught one and they can't get it in the tiny net they have or haven't got a clue how to get it unhooked that damage is done, by that time it's a bit late, they may muddle through and get away with it, so they carry on muddling through. There is no substitute for experience, how did we get our expertise? Go with an experienced Pike angler you may say, but what if they don't know one, or if they do can they be sure that he would be prepared to give up his time.

Like you said Peter It's a catch 22 situation, but are we as Pike anglers totally innocent of not being partially to blame for the upsurge in popularity of this aspect of angling.