I'm thinking of taking up pike fishing!

Peter Waller

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on Nugg!

Stumac, with regard to summer piking there were only three of us regulars four years ago. Now you might see as many as thirty on a Saturday on my patch. Saturdays from October to Christmas at one time might have seen ten pikers at most, now fifty plus is not unknown. At one time I recognised every boat that fished my immediate area and the middle reaches of the River Yare, not now. I don't blame people, I enjoy it, so why can't they. But the result will inevitably be a fall off. It's reached saturation point, so I'm doing more bream bashing than ever!! It's not so much the numbers, that is inevitable, its the quality. This is NOT a dig at carpers, but in some respects it is unfortunate that carp gear can be used for piking. It is, as Nugg suggests, a problem of our own making. Probably Messrs Wilson and Hayes being the biggest culprits. Will it do another tail walk, YESSSSS!!!

Hi Peter! I too saw that thread, and thought, much as you did, the lad hasn't a clue. Apart from anything else, why post it at the start of the close-season? I then thought at least he has enough intelligence that he recognises the need for some advice, about how to go about it. It's really a shout for help, to someone such as yourself: forget the Argos tackle , and take the opportunity to set him in the right direction! I needed some advice about pike-fishing, before Christmas and, I'm delighted to say, regulars on this board, and the pikeforum board, told me all I needed to know. It isn't the likes of this lad who will be unable to deal with any pike they hook; not, at least, if he gets the advice he craves. I told you about those lads on my fishery, who I found pike-fishing with a live gudgeon attached to a heavy line that was tied to a bank-stick (because they didn't think their rods would cope). I can guess what they would have done, if they'd caught a pike. I actually dismantled their set-up in front of their eyes, and released the gudgeon, to not a word of complaint!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

That's the one Pangoline! Yes, it did trigger this thread. But only that it reminded me, just see how many such threads pop up over the next few months!! Agreed, it is good that they ask. But it highlights a growing problem which Nugg has commented on better than I.

On the plus side, if someone takes the time to post to this site and is inexperienced, at least they can learn from the kind of response this thread has generated and gain the knowledge they would otherwise miss. I think another interesting point made here is with regard to tv fishing. I am not going for a moment to slag off the work of messrs Hayes,Wilson,Hunt etc. It is thier passion that re ignited my own interest in angling and I owe them for the knowledge they have shared. However, tv angling does give the impression, by the manner it is edited and the sheer skill of the presenters that its a bite a minute and very easy. You dont get the disapointment of a hard days blank. Perhaps an effort by tv companys to emphasise husbandry and technique over instant action would help?

Peter Waller:

Piking is not the easy option. There is more to piking than swopping a boilie for a deadbait. No watching TV and sleeping between takes for one thing...

(shudder) Not doing that, then. THAT'S not proper fishin' at all!

Mind you, if a Norwich City supporter can do it - it can't be THAT difficult, surely?

Terry :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Wordbender:

Wordbender:

Piking is not the easy option. There is more to piking than swopping a boilie for a deadbait. No watching TV and sleeping between takes for one thing...

(shudder) Not doing that, then. THAT'S not proper fishin' at all!

Mind you, if a Norwich City supporter can do it - it can't be THAT difficult, surely?

Terry :D

As a tractor boy (Ipswich Town (Pride of East Anglia)) it was nice to see Norwich lose at the weekend.

I am looking forward to seeing them getting wapped every week when they are in the premier.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

My first post here :) . I'm looking to do some pike fishing actually this coming autumn/winter but I will be going to a teach in run by the angling society that I have just joined. It is mandatory to go to this teach in in order to fish for pike on the society's waters.

The trouble I think is that people just think, oh it's just a fish and the pike - with quite a reputation as a fierce fish is seen also as very tough. I know this is wrong but unfortunately it is the case.

James