lead from batteries

Guest NickInTheNorth

quote:

I.ve been using one of the wifes new stainless steel pans, the type with a copper bottom, superb is the word,the lead melts quickly and also the pan holds the heat for a while. She thinks it was stolen.

Cheers

Norrie [/QB]

Hmmmm, I think that if one of my wife's pans vanished she would suspect me before she considered the fact that a burgler might have taken it.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chevin, How can you be so cruel :rolleyes: ,my wife knows I am honest as the day is long :rolleyes: , and does not suspect foul play from her beloved, she thinks it went missing from a trout fishing trip last year.

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

chevin:

Hmmmm, I think that if one of my wife's pans vanished she would suspect me before she considered the fact that a burgler might have taken it. :(

Me too ! Obviously we have wives who understand us

:D:D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

posted by poledark

quote:

Of course in the interests of safety it was all done on the pavement in Homesdale Rd

i used to live in holmsdale road did it have a tackleshop at one end and a cycle??? shop on a corner i remember as a very small tyke (probably about 4) going to the cycle shop for a gallon of parrafin and as usual uttering the words of the time "can my mum pay friday " (or words to that effect) maybe my aflictions come from people spilling acid on the pavement and me inhaling the fumes :D:D we lived in 2 rooms above a strange family and next door to a mr deeley an ex mayor???and a great piano player if i remember , i also remember spotting a tin trainset i was given as a present in the shed of the house owners and wondering why it was there as it had "disapeared" on hindsight it had probably been sold by mum my dads sailors pay didnt go far then

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters, you are right, it is the same road. Tackle shop long gone and "Old man Deeley" as well. Would it surprise you (probably not) to know that "Old man Deeley" was the father of one of my Brothers in Law!!!!!!!!

Beat that for a coincidence :D:D:D

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

does that mean were related :P

we moved to napier road after that , at the end of the road was a very frightening white haired gentleman who ran a sweetshop i went in once and chose elsewhere to get sweets , we went back when i was 19 on a "roots" mission AND HE WAS STILL THERE completely unchanged times WERE different then cars stayed unmoved from the kirb and i used to walk to ST Marks??(bottom of masons hill) school alone at 5 ,nowadays i suspect any child walking anywhere would be front page news

[ 23. June 2003, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

chesters1:

the lead isnt very pure nick as a battery charges the lead changes and slowly after a while its composed of lead sulphate ,lead and other lead compounds the buildup of the lead compounds is why the battery dies :( i expect with LOTS of batteries a usuable amount of lead is collected , my tips is use an IRON pot to melt the lead , put it on a well stoked barbicue and blast it with air from a leaf blower ,this gets it as hot as a blast furnace ( well a cool one ) and it being outside is safer any nasty vapours will be blasted away :)

this will melt lead VERY fast the drawback though is that the base of the barbie wont last long :D

whoops you do have trees on muck??? otherwise leafblowers will be rarer than hens teeth :)

Nick, anything that isn't pure lead will float to the top when you are heating it. You can scoop this off the top and toss it.

On Ascension Island in the S. Atlantic we used to make our own weight with wood. We poured the lead into holes in the wood and then added small nails to create the holes that we could thread the line through. I bit primitive but effective. We didn't have moulds at the time. The fishing was the best I've ever experienced.

On the other hand I work in a garage and toss all of the lead we take from balancing tyres (tires?) I've got quite a bit still if you want them.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

On Ascension Island in the S. Atlantic we used to make our own weight with wood. We poured the lead into holes in the wood and then added small nails to create the holes that we could thread the line through. I bit primitive but effective. We didn't have moulds at the time. The fishing was the best I've ever experienced.

Ascension Islands?! Trigger fish, tuna, sharks!! and of course MORAY EELS!! Great place and fanbloodytastic fishing!! Only there for a short break going to/from the Falklands but what a place!!

Brung back some memories has that!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

It was an amazing place. With water so clear that you could see forever underneath. I was there long enough to see the turtles labor up onto the beach, sling sand to dig their holes and then watch as the little ones made the break for the water a few months later. Catching shark and tuna from the rocks and the trigger fish were like piranas when you threw anything with meat still attached. Hiking up Green mountain. Did you sign the book Chris? Coconut rum that would knock your socks off. Spent most of my time spearfishing grouper and keeping an eye out for the morays. 6-8 feet long and SCARY . I lost more than one grouper to them.

Brilliant place Chris

http://www.the-islander.org.ac/webcam/

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...