Windows updates

ayjay

Do I really need all these updates I keep getting told about?

I have a new laptop and it has downloaded 44 new Windows updates since 16th July plus another 50 when it was first turned on.

Some of them have been pretty big, there was one a couple of days back (66mb) which took about 90 minutes to download/install/configure.

Another one late last night really peed me off cos it changed all my personalised settings for screen resolution and font sizes etc. back to a default setting, it had taken me ages to get Vista looking more like I wanted.

I don't remember ever updating Windows on my old desktop which still runs very nicely (on Win98Se).

In my opinion they just add junk. I'm thinking of turning mine off permanently.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Some are useful, some aren't, if you configure Windows to just tell you about them and not download automatically, then you can choose which you want.

Some are useful, some aren't, if you configure Windows to just tell you about them and not download automatically, then you can choose which you want.

And this is good because you know what has been put on and so avoid the issues like what happened recently with the last windows update that affected Zonealarm and I think skype. The updates are scheduled ahead of time.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

It was already set up to only tell me about them and not to download automatically (it would have used up my dongle credit), I've now changed it to only tell me about the *important* ones rather than all the others as well, but looking at the history that only takes out about 20% of them.

Is there an easy way to tell what each update will do?