Why are humans so much weaker than chimps?

Apparently chimps are 4 times stronger than humans. But why - in evolutionary terms? Does it mean we are weaker than our ape ancestors? And if so, what was the evolutionary advantage of getting weaker?

An adult male chimp is about 10 times stronger than a man.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Tench,

Interesting subject. I think it is because chimps are butt ugly and don't take a bath. Strength in chimps is negative evolution.

However the first seven articles (google) on the subject suggest we developed our fine motor control controls over out muscles and that prevents great feats of strength. "Evolutionary lineage and positive selection tends to occur in both chimps and humans.

One interesting note I read (and I guess a question). Chimps genetically developed stronger immune responses Humans are kicking arce in the area of expression, patterns and positive selection. That means we have a lot more genes with the power to make change at the tissue level. We have a lot more options left for change.

Phone

There is most likely a number of reasons for the change, at a guess a change in habitat most likely being one. Many primates are tree dwelling for food and safety from predators when our ancestors moved to the ground our upper body strength was less important. The use of tools also probably had some influence down the line i would have thought. Don't forget chimps are just as evolved for their natural habitat as we are :)

Edited by fishy_con
  • Like 1

Connor.

I should have said it in my previous post but the question is flawed in the first place as we didnt evolve from chimpanzees but we did share a common ancestor with them. At some point our shared ancestors were divided and some evolved along the path that lead to humans and some along the path that lead to chimps.

Edited by fishy_con
  • Like 1

Connor.

It's a fair point that none of our ancestral species exist unchanged today, but it's reasonable to compare us to other contemporary primate lines and ask why we diverged.

Perhaps adam and eve were undeveloped weaklings

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Why do we as a species need to be as strong when instead of killing your prey with claws, teeth or brute strength you chase your prey to the point of exhaustion then spear, club or drop a large rock on it.

We became a jack of all trades maybe at the cost of being master of none (but we're smart).

Edited by garylee

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was