canoeing and rivers again

wotnobivvy

I hear a bit of moaning from down south regarding this. would i be right in thinking the major problem is them paddling through a swim thats been carefully prepared to bring the fish in, without consideration ?

i havnt been so unlucky with canoeists but ask me again next year when the paddle sport center being built on the canal is complete.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

If you read the whole article it is quite balanced for a change

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20182198

I don't think it's that balanced. The headline calls for " Greater access to waters", while the majority of canoeists call for the "Right to roam", a big difference. We've not have Mr Youngs on for a while, but when discussing it with him, he first went for 'greater access', but when pushed, it was complete access. Nobody has the 'right to roam' anywhere in England and Wales, so why should the canoeists?

I'm all for greater access for canoeists, but there must be some kind of legislation covering it. Whether it be a licence system, with a prominent identifiable number displayed on the craft, or some other means of identification, there would have to be something. It would be a way of finding the more irresponsible canoeists, the ones that cause damage, and disruption to other water users. The canoeists I've spoken to, on here, and face to face, would have none of this. They want the right to go where, and whenever they choose. I personally don't think that is right.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Neither anglers nor canoeists have any automatic right of access. Anglers are willing to pay for access. Canoeists think they should get it for free, even if it ruins the sport of those who are paying for access. It's easy to say "we should all have equal access and share" when sharing is no skin off your nose.

Steve,

I was going to pose that question from a position of ignorance. If canoeists did pay a fee or licence of some sort, who would issue and check it. Anglers and boaters have their licensing authorities with the powers to check and fine. Also would there be a closed season such as we anglers have.

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I have no problem at all with canoes/kayaks being able to use every stretch of river as long as they are safe to do so, ive fished on a part of the river that gets quite a bit of traffic at certain times of year and it was never a much of a problem. Some people just like to moan and be divisive in my opinion.

Connor.

Steve,

I was going to pose that question from a position of ignorance. If canoeists did pay a fee or licence of some sort, who would issue and check it.

Same as us - the clubs who rent the canoeing rights, or the landowners themselves.

I have no problem at all with canoes/kayaks being able to use every stretch of river as long as they are safe to do so, ive fished on a part of the river that gets quite a bit of traffic at certain times of year and it was never a much of a problem. Some people just like to moan and be divisive in my opinion.

How many narrow, shallow rivers do you fish, Connor?

I too have had canoeists, yachts, cruisers, etc, pass when fishing some rivers, with no problems. I even fished a match on the Witham during a Boston to Lincoln boat race, with over 100 scullers going passed, again, no problem. I have also had a flotilla of canoes come through when fishing a small (15 to 20ft wide) river, and it ruined the the day for several of us.

On some waters, there is no problem, on others the two can't mix without some kind of agreement or legislation, on others, the two are incompatible. The 'right to roam' doesn't apply to anglers, or any other sport/pastime, so why should it apply to canoeists?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Ok fair enough on very narrow, very shallow stretches as per those photos a large number of canoes coming through would be disruptive but i would be surprised if that would happen often enough to be more than a once in a blue moon occurrence. I just think that if canoists and anglers show a bit of consideration for each other there's no need to make an issue out of it :)

Connor.