What angling aspect would you put in room 101?

Dave H

So what’s over rated in the world of angling? Boilies and all the various glugs and you are certain to catch on this or the worm perhaps or those money making DVD’s that always show you 50lb carp caught all the time. Float/Ledgering teqniques, Fishery propaganda on fish to get you in or even that humble maggot. What about Eel fishing. .
To me it’s night fishing. Totally over rated unless you have such fish that ‘ONLY’ are catchable at night and i might get some stick for this but cammo trouser or shirt or jacket is fine but a full set of camo?
And a camo buzzer what the hell is that about ...LOL

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Weights and weight "barriers"

I very rarely weigh a fish these days - just admire the fish for merely being a fish, and perhaps if I like the look of it, take a picture (like I did last night of a rinky-dinky little dace.)

I might weigh a possible PB of some British fish, but that is purely personal vanity. When travelling abroad I don't even take any scales with me - although I do take a camera.

Otherwise, I might reply "at least 90% of what is now stocked in the average tackle shop"

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Carp fishing from a bivvy casting to the other side of the lake.

Spod tutti fruity zinga pop up boilie snowman zig rig helicopter thrutchmeister 3000 chocolate assortmaint bait.

Fishing club committees who have been in the club for 50 years and that's where their views on fishing still are

People who hate on Camo ( that's a joke by the way)

Like Vagabond the preoccupation with weights and further, describing your catch as weights. "I had 25lb of silvers" or "I had a 13-4 and a 17-8 last night and a 26-1 this morning"

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Like Sportsman and vagabond I just take pictures in general but of fish very rarely. i get a bit peed off when the childish school boy anglers say if you don't get a picture it didn't happen'. What do i care what they think but it does niggle me a bit about such childish behaviour.
My own brain is my photograph, my hard drive if you like and i remember the scrap more than the fish usually. A 20lb carp really does not float my boat but the fight would. . There are fish i have caught since i have come back into fishing which will remain in my head. If i do weigh i tend to weigh it a bit blaze like ;It was a 4lber not down to the oz.
And that's any fish and not a slur at carp anglers

I do laugh at the click brigade in clubs where fishing is taken so seriously. To some it is serious but it's the one's that really go over the top as if it's a life or death situation. I guess in my past i have worked in a group but that was really important so a group in fishing or golf or any sport just makes me laugh.
The Golf /fishing/football etc S.W.A.T team ....LOL

Edited by Dave H

A couple of things. Firstly, the dismissive attitude a lot of people have for methods or styles of fishing that they have no knowledge of or interest in, ranging from 'you're wasting a swim fishing for roach' to 'night fishing should be banned because it's cheating'. As an all-rounder I get it from all sides, almost always from people who simply have an unfounded prejudice.

Secondly, I would love to ditch the current angling media and start afresh with one that's fit for purpose, i.e. is motivated by disseminating knowledge, informing and entertaining rather than providing marketing and sales functions for companies and self-styled celebrities.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I wouldn't put any in room 101....each to his own. I can't see the point in ridiculeing other peoples methods.

But your not?

It's just your own feelings and not a slight on anyone. your right it's each to their own but it does not mean you are attacking people personally. Get a backbone man ;):)

I will go and talk to any angler on the bank whether in full cammo, somebody taking a picture of a gudgeon ( it may b a quick one with that one...LOL). He might be fishing that i think is not right but that's just my opinion and it stats in my head but if he wanted too i would still have a brew with him. We all share the passion for angling so that in itself is good enough to me :)

Edited by Dave H

As well as Andrews idea of the angling media starting afresh, I think I would put most of the last 25-30 angling years in room 101, and start afresh. Start afresh with a policy of making sure our stocking policies, were confined to the waters concerned, and didn't impact on the system as a whole. Then I could agree with Tigger, and truly say 'each to their own'.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John