who,s the Best

cannibalspinners

John Wilson, the master, Jack Hargreaves was fantastic, but to much pottering about in that old shed.

http://youtu.be/OAnPxSlEKTs

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

John Wilson, the master, Jack Hargreaves was fantastic, but to much potterng about in that old shed.

Mmm...someone else on the forum used to say the very same thing about Jack Hargreaves n'all :g:

I don't rate any of them.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Mmm...someone else on the forum used to say the very same thing about Jack Hargreaves n'all :g:

Coughing Bob Fleming - love him!

hqdefault.jpg

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

John Wilson, the master, Jack Hargreaves was fantastic, but to much potterng about in that old shed.

Better than the "RABBIT" of the newbies too sell thier sponsers tackle,bait.

Nothing wrong with a bit of potterng I have a potting shed for it.

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was

Used to enjoy watching Jack Hargreaves too, so he'd be on my list of top anglers.

Nice quiet "all in the day's work" style from Jack Hargreaves - whether he was catching chalk-stream trout on the dry fly, pinching out side shoots on his tomatoes, driving a pony and trap, shooting pigeons, making a rabbit snare, or spinning for perch.

Dick Walker once said that Jack Hargreaves understood perch better than anyone else he knew.

A presenter of country life rather than just fishing programmes, Jack was no country bumpkin, despite his farming background and slow drawl. He was educated at Merchant Taylors, went to to veterinary college, but gave it all up to become a journalist and TV presenter.

It was Jack who suggested the name "Mr Crabtree" for Bernard Venables's Daily Mirror strip-cartoon gardener who then took up fishing and became famous. Jack Hargreaves was pretty erudite and well read, and I have wondered if he got the name from Sir Walter Scott's Waverley novel "The Antiquary" in which a "Mr Crabtree, seedsman and nurseryman" appears.

....and for those who seem to think angling was invented in the 1990s, let me tell you that for all-round freshwater angling, Dick Walker was way, way ahead of the modern so-called "celebrities". None of them come even close.

Numerous specimen fish, including two record fish, (he never bothered to claim the rainbow trout record) successful match fisher, expert fly-fisher, rod maker, fly tier, inventor of numerous angling gadgets, columnist for Angling Times for more years than I can remember, auhor of many books, successful campaigner for angling recognition on television, and one of the most generous chaps it has ever been my privilege to meet.

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Far too many one trick ponies these days. I must say that I think that Matt Hayes has grown into his role of an all rounder, and he's a nice bloke too.

Used to love Angling Today way back in the seventies and Jack Hargreaves programs too.

And have got to agree wholeheartedly with Vagabonds comments on Dick Walker. I wonder how he would have fared in our digital multimedia personality driven age.

Rather well I think.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Vagabond,

Ha ha - I apologize. My grammer is better than that. It's just that these two anglers serve fish sandwiches to the children on paper plates.

Is that better? Ha ha.

Phone