who,s the Best

cannibalspinners

Don't forget J. R. Hartley.......

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

When this has come up before I wrote that I think we have to differentiate between the best angler ever on TV, and the angler with the most influence.

I think most of us above a certain age, and many younger anglers too, will agree with Vagabond that Dick Walker was the most influencial. It was Walker who showed that specimen fish weren't "the fish of a lifetime", but could be caught both deliberately and on a regular basis. This was absolutely revolutionary at the time!

Walker also showed he was a fine angler too. Not only did he smash the then carp record out of sight, raising it from 31-04 to 44lbs in one go, but he also broke the rainbow trout record as well, and for good measure caught a record dace of 1-05 from the Cam on a fly. This was never claimed. Does anyone know if this was because it was caught out of season?

In the specimen competition run by Angling Times, points were given for the best ten fish of the season of various species. It was open to any angling club rather than individuals, and it was widely expected that Christchurch, having superb waters, would win. In the event Walker's club, Hitchin, walked it by a mile!

Walker was also challenged to a series of matches against the winner of the All-England. The latter couldn't make it so Tom Sails, the captain of the winning Lincoln team was drafted in instead.

Sails chose the venue for the first match and predictably won. Walker cheekily choose the River Bain in Lincolnshire for the second match, and narrowly beat Sails off his local patch!

The final match was on a neutral venue chosen by Angling Times, that neither had fished at the time. It took place on the Hampshire Avon, and Walker won a big margin that included a double figure barbel!

I've fished with some of the TV anglers and a few are good friends. Good as they are, I don't believe any are as good as Richard Walker was. Sadly, there were relatively few angling TV shows in those days, but Walker did appear on a number and almost invariably caught his target fish for the camera.

Most of all though Walker was a great communicator, and every budding specimen hunter should read the introduction to "Still-water Angling". This alone is worth more than the very modest price of the book.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've noticed comments on this topic already that denigrate TV anglers. Dick Walker would be chuckling in his grave as it was common to do the same with angling writers in his day as well. Many readers thought that they were as good as the experts, who had an "unfair advantage". In fact it's probably always been this way.

We've covered this before, and a very interesting topic well worth a look at is http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/2734865-famous-anglers-only-catch-those-fish-because/.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

For me they do not incite hero worship. I have and do know lots of good anglers, many do not court the celebrity limelight while others who may wish for that haven't got a contact or relative already in the buisness and are not prepared to kiss arses to get on.

Angling isn't rocket science and there are many people who already have the ability to out fish the celeb's. I've also noticed many of these celeb anglers also have the gift of the gab and are imo no better anglers than millions of others across the country.

I do have my favourite celeb anglers but that isn't because of their fishng abilities but more their presenting skills and personality.

Edited by Tigger

Walker's dace of 1-5 was caught at a time (long pre 1968 when the clear-out of records occurred) when the current record was 1-8-5. If Walker had wanted to claim the record 30 years after he caught it (suspect around 1938/9?) he would have to have produced the body. Not sure he even had witnesses never mind the scales used. It was effectively a 'non-record'. Bernard Venables had a 1-9 dace that was out of season.

• Like 1

Don't forget J. R. Hartley.......

I liked him. It was in an old windmill or something he had and real pleasure fishing. I wonder what he would have thought about plastic maggotts and bait boats today .?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

All,

Our fishing is enough different I have a different viewpoint.

We send 200 bass boats out at the crack of a gun - same lake - same time. Week in and week out 80% of the fish come back to the same 5% of anglers. Kevin Van Dam is 7 time world champion (having won 5 in the 21st century). Not only does he have to out fish the best of the best - he has to out fish the "homies".\

The only thing they have FOR SURE is top gear - and LOTS of it (although execpt in top tournaments they fish with what they sell). The only thing different is everything is neat and tidy (someone else is doing the tidy part). I guess you could say they are pampered.

Tigger,

I do kinda believe it is some sort of rocket science or voodoo - and no, the very good regular guy cannot out fish the 5%. They can get lucky but - hey.

Now, when "pleasure fishing" it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE for the 5% to go alone. And - why wouldn't anyone to had a chance to fish with a Roland Martin take him to his "best water"?

Phone

• Like 1