Tips for Wingham

Anthony78

Thanks Steve,

Do you think that Vitalin will get the tench feeding. Was going to put a nice bed of this down then feed the maggots over the top. What have you found to be the best techniques for the Perch?

Was thinking of fishing for them in the evening and first light with lobs under a float or popped up a few inches off the bottem on a ledger rig.

Any other tips for us first timers.

Effort equals reward!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vitalin has worked very well at Wingham. It definitely pays to experiment, but recently I've found worms or maggots over a carpet of maggots has worked very well.

AN regular Fred Guttfield and a friend are over there now. They've just had three 3lb perch fishing worm over maggot, and have asked their ghillie (me!) to go to the tackle shop and buy them more maggots.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

There have only been 3 perch under 3lbs caught since last autumn, so if you get one you'll be very unlucky if it's not a personal best. However, if the water colours up like it did last summer you'll probably be plagued with baby perch!

By the way, regarding line: I'd recommend 5lb line for the float rod, and at least 6lb for ledgering - you can always use a lighter hooklength.

I'd add that if you're using boilies I insist on a minimum line diameter of .34mm (typically 12 to 15lb b.s depending on make/type) as I don't want carp hooked and lost.

I'll be e-mailing full rules and directions in the next couple of days. However, in case you need to organise it now, an unhooking mat is essential.

One other important point: I don't recommend long range fishing. This is for two reasons.

Firstly, being a new pit the gravel bars are very sharp and the further out you fish the more bars you've got to play fish over.

Secondly, as long as you keep still, short range fishing is much more successful at Wingham. This is partly because the marginal shelf of nearly every swim produces well, and partly because casting/baiting accuracy is the key to success at Wingham. There are so many bars and humps etc that you can be fishing in 12inches or 12feet of water if you're just a yard out with your casting! Nearly all my fish at Wingham, including bream, have come in the margins.

Couple this with the huge amount of natural food and you can see why, however much you groundbait, you can't move the fish off their patrol routes. I'll do my best to point out the hotspots in the swims for those who want me to, although some swims have rarely been fished in the 10 years since I stocked the water!

Cereal groundbait works very well for the tench, although it hasn't so far increased my bream catch rate. This is probably because the tench are visual feeders, whilst the bream feed largely after dark. The best time for the tench is usually breakfast to mid-morning, but this is by no means set in stone.

As for rigs/baits, I'd repeat my advice to keep it simple. In the day, especially at dawn/dusk I'd recommend floatfishing, or a running ledger baited with worm, maggot or caster as you'll likely pick up perch. Perch hate resistance so I'd suggest you don't use a bolt rig during the day, and also that you use a heavy lead of say 1½ozs. This creates less resistance as the weight stays put and the indicator moves instead.

Corn has also proved successful for the tench and bream, but of course reduces the chances of getting perch. However, cocktail baits of corn/worm or corn/maggot have produced me a lot of perch. Flavourings have upped the catch rate, especially spicy ones for the perch, and fruity ones for the other species.

When breaming make sure you have a long drop on your bobbins as that way you'll be able to tell the difference between a line bite and a proper take. Striking at line bites is a sure way of spooking the fish!

Finally, I don't allow certain rigs. This includes many rigs commonly used by match or pleasure anglers where the weight doesn't come free if the reel line breaks above the weight, for instance fixed paternosters tied with a water knot, or looped feeder rigs. (See the rig diagrams in the SAA Code of Conduct).

P.S. Steve Randles has invented a safe alternative to the looped feeder rig. Could Steve or someone please post a link. Thanks.

[ 04. June 2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

To save me taking any cooking gear, what's the take aways like ?

:D:D:D

PS Cheers for the info Steve, I'm away tomorrow till next friday night, working in Scotland, so I can give my mate a shopping list for me !

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Ahh, the old faithfull :D I've been packing my stuff for next week all morning as I'm away this week and I just know I'm gonna forget something. Nevermind, wouldn't be a fishing trip without forgetting something would it ?

:D

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Well I shall be packing all week for take with me for three days. It would be eaiser if I brought a house down there! :D

[ 05. June 2005, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Burgess ]

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

There are two of us coming in my fiesta so god knows How I am going to get all the kit in.

Hi Andrew, I think it might be a good idea to use backleads, especially if you are going for the bream. It might just stop some of the line bites. If you use a heavy enough lead then you should see any indication on the bite alarm.

Effort equals reward!!