pole fishing

budgie2004

• 9 months later...

I wouldn't recommend this pole for margin fishing, fishing close to snags or for fishing for large carp with big bates like paste etc but it should be ok for smaller carp and tench in open water. It very much depends on the venue and the average size of the fish that are stocked.

I have caught some quite large carp, accidently I might add, whilst fishing for silvers using blue hydro elastic through a standard match top 3 kit rated to a 12 elastic so it can be done but again I wouldn't purposly set out to fish for carp this way.

Dave

Middlebrough Angling Club

Visit My Website

Follow Me On Twitter

Born to fish..................... Forced to work!

• 1 month later...
hi,first time here.

i am new to pole fishing and have a shimano solstace 12.5m pole.does anyone know if its any good for medium sized carp/tench

HELLO MATE YEA AS LONG AS YOUR TOP KITS ARE POWER TOP KITS AND GEARED UP WITH GOOD STRONG ELASTIC THEN YEA MATE

• 3 months later...
What I will say is when using it and playing a large fish, let the elastic do the work. Don't lift the pole high in the air but keep the tip low and with a slight angle to the fish. Make sure you don't point the pole directly at the fish as the top set can be pulled off. Keeping the pole long slowly ship the pole back when the elastic is retracting and once you have got hold of the top set then you cna lift the fish to the net. Try lifting 6 or metres of pole into the air and you are asking for a breakage.

hi i have a daiwa sr1 13.m pole and i was wondering what would be the best set-up for carp and tench as ive only been fishing on the pole for a couple months now.. and been catching silverfish mostly .. and what baits should i use .. thanks alot

• 1 year later...

How do you use a pole ?

The following section describes how to use poles. Do not worry if it's hard to know what is going on. I had to learn to pole fishing freshwater fishing magazines. I must admit I'm half bewildered trying to figure out how it was done. I just dropped a line if you need anything clarified.

The following is a brief description of the shape of a fish stick.

The Poles are big, long and taper to a fine point. The line of a floating platform is tied at the end of the tip of the pole. Can also be configured to attach to the end of a piece of elastic, placed inside the tip of the pole. The elastic is used to help in fighting fish. Personal flotation devices used are similar to those used in a rod and reel. The float switch platform hanging from the pole tip and is literally pushed along and in the water. The length of the line between the float and pole tip can vary in length for the type of fishing you want to do.

Using elastic pole tip allows the fish to fight against something. It also helps maintain a narrow line between fish and the tip of the pole. You can also protect the pole and the floating platform when the fish picks away. Elastic comes in many strengths. They will be discussed later.

There is a special way to keep a fishing pole. You must use both hands. One hand is used out behind you to keep the mast. The other hand is used to hold below the pole in front of you. This helps balance the pole. You can slide forward or backward pole to find the point where the pole is perfectly balanced. This is when you do not have to struggle to hold the weight of the rod with both hands. The pole will end up being held at an angle in front of you. If you are 'right hand', then you probably have to use your right hand on the back, and his left hand forward. This means that the pole tip tend to point to your left. This is just the opposite if they are "lefties" and the end of the stick to point to the right. It is important to remember to set your security box and equipment to accommodate this. This can also be a consideration when choosing your swim.Striking and catching fish requires a bit of coordination and patience. As with normal float fishing, the tip of the fleet will move around or sink when the fish takes the bait. Fish are "wounded" by simply tilting the pole end into the air. This is done by pressing down on the far post with the back hand. It is important to remember not to jerk the pole tip to lift too fast or too hard to lift. All you need do is simply put the hook in the mouth of the fish. If you use the recommended "barb-less' or hooks" thin thread "then the fish usually do it themselves.

Once the fish are going to try to swim. The tip of the pole is bent toward the fish. If the fish is "poorly connected" is at this stage that the winery will most likely hook let go. If you are catching small fish, then you can turn off the water, and in his hand. If you are catching big fish such as carp, then you can use special techniques to fool the fish and land them.

There are some different techniques that can be used to land the fish on a pole. The most common method is to tire the fish which is swimming. This is only done to the point of being able to land. I think I average 1 to 2 minutes to land a fish. If you are taking forever, consider pulling the hook for the fish go.

The following method is used to fool the larger fish swim to you and into your landing net. You need a long stick to do this. Once you hook the fish, you need to push the tip of the pole distance beyond the fish, so it's between you and the pole. If you put a little pressure on the line, the fish most likely "locked" away from the pressure and move towards you. Most poles come in "pull-apart" sections. This means that during the fight may have to remove or add sections, so you can keep the pole tip beyond fishing.

A variant of this method is to keep the tip of the bottom right above the fish. This is confusing and make it stay in one place. Most times you will find that a combination of techniques may be necessary. Knowing what to do come with time and experience.

Catching big fish on the pole is a great challenge. If you are targeting fish such as carp over 15 pounds. then I have to recommend sticking with a strong rod and reel. Now there are poles that are made to handle carp over 20 lbs., But these are a bit heavy, rigid, and the need for some of the strongest elastic available. Anyone in Canada can be a little disappointed to hear this. From what I heard, the fish is a specimen at birth!

Angling can be used to capture almost all fish. It is a technique more often than not allows you to optimize every situation. You can stock up "when fish feed, and also catching fish when other methods fail.

The only thing to remember is that it is the preferred method for fishing game. Although most of the fishermen sample may disagree with me, I firmly believe that fishing produces the best match anglers from around the world. A stick in the hands of a good game fisherman will show you what's really in front of you in the water. How many times have you sat and watched the water in front of you boil fish, and wonder if you can fish? I would give "the odds" that a good match angler would have the best opportunity to do just that.