Ban drinking whilst angling!

Peter Waller

If you get into such a state that other anglers start to notice you ,your out of order. I,ve seen the state that some of the so called "names" get into when abroad, they do no one any favours, and the rest of us much damage. I,ll have a b-b-q and invite my mates and neighbours and we,ll drink all night, and some fairly wild drinks as well, budgie will vouch for this. But drinking to the state you are falling around on the bank is not on , its dangerous and inconsiderate. It,s not only session anglers who are the culperates I,ve been salmon fishing with some quite high profile "personalities" who start the day with a bottle of malt then continue through out the day to consume wines etc, to beat it all they have then jumped into there cars,s and driven back to the hotels for G+Ts a good evenings meal and drinks. It makes you wonder especially when you see some of them later on telly condeming "the drinks problem" in the country.!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been fishing for over 40 years and never once taken booze to the bankside,packed up early more times than i care to remember and gone to the pub for a drink.

Maybe that the way to do it.

[ 14. June 2005, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: medwaygreen ]

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

quote:

This isn't a dig at you Chesters (rather club commitees in general) but would it not have been more sensible to ban the inconsiderate few rather than spoil it for everyone?
sorry i dont know ,i'm a bailiff in the sense of "cheap labour to keep ponds clean and make sure non payers dont fish" even with this lofty :rolleyes: name for my job i'm not privy to what goes on in the mindset of our illustrious committee meetings .

maybe the main antagonists were dealt with and their permits removed and the rule brought in to stop it re-occuring or to warn others not caught "in the act"i dont know i just enforce them !hopefully fairly.

i dont mind the occasional bit of back chat as i get the oppsite as well ,today for instance i took an hour to go round the pond getting permit numbers not because it a huge lake but because as its almost carp free and the fish on the small side it attracts mostly retired anglers ,plenty of gossip back and forth and pleasentries like "blimey not dead yet" to our older members who are regular customers (some over the years do die but i suspect they still fish there) or chatting up the wives (making their day as their hubbies fish) but most are retired and have heard it all before and realise its just play :D

today i met a chap who hadent visited the pond for 2 years i suspected he had died but in reality he didnt dare use his old car to come (from south london) as it was unreliable now he has his "new" one he'l once again sit in his swim no doupt thinking of his mates now dead and their days out always in the same swims! now all but his occupied by the remainder of the fishing gang :)

[ 14. June 2005, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Sounds as if I would fit in nicely at your lake Chesters :D Sort of chat I get during the day from all the retired dogwalkers..

Why does anyone need to drink alchohol whilst fishing...isn't the fishing enough for you??

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

your welcome anytime Den ,not only angler chat but horse riders ,dog walkers and ramblers ,if i didnt have a wife i could spend the day down there and not even need a rod :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson