Ban drinking whilst angling!

Peter Waller

That's the problem it can't be limited to 'reasonable' quantities, reason (used to be called common sense) doesn't seem to apply anywhere now.

My club ban it and I can't say it bothers me, similarly I don't drink and drive and I'm in favour of zero tolerance of those that do.

I can't think of a more dangerous place to be when under the influence than next to water, especially in the dark.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If common sense were excercised on a regular basis by 'joe public' there wouldn't be a need to ban things but re-read the threads above, many tales of loutish behaviour with a common thread... alcohol.

It seems the only way to eradicate the louts is to legislate, I have never witnessed bad behaviour on my club waters.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

farnham also ban drugs but as you can guess i cannot do anything about that in my guise of bailiff ,not only is the rule unworkable (what drugs :confused: ) but unless i trip over tin foil or bongs ,or come out of a swim covered in puncture wounds from spikes i couldnt tell the difference between hardened drug users and some of our stranger anglers ,i myself take 2 types (prescription i hasten to add) do i ban myself.

bans are ok if their enforceable but stupid to make if their not :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Severn Wolf:

You poor sods.

Not one tale about the joys of having a few beers and a damn good laugh WITHOUT disturbing anyone else. I don`t sesh fish without a few beers or some wine, I`m there to relax and if a few drinks do that then so much the better. If the club banned it then I`d move to other waters.

well said wolfy mate. what next a ban on cheese sarnies. like was said earlier it's the idiots not the booze.

bluezulu:

like was said earlier it's the idiots not the booze.

Must disagree. Its the combination of the two. Sober idiots are bad enough, drunken idiots are worse.

Idiots do not exercise common sense in their drinking. I have no quarrel whatsoever with moderate drinking.

What I don't like is yobbos who drink three cans of lager, sniff a fourth, take leave of their senses and start chucking empties into the lake.

Angling clubs and commercials are being forced to ban alcohol because of this type of behaviour - and as someone who likes a bottle of wine to go with my snap when fishing in summer, or rum-laced coffee in a flask in winter, I resent the yobbos that cause these bans.

What IS significant is that the three syndicates that I belong to have no such trouble - carefully vetted membership applications see to that. White wine with your chicken salad at the waterside ? No problem.

Elitist ? Well, so what ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The problem is that now the issue has been raised, it will never go away.

Instead of actually confronting and dealing with a few idiots, the knee jerk ban, ban, ban reaction will kick in and pretty soon having a quiet beer on the waterside will be banned by every fishery in the land. Why ? Because people who have had a drink tend to injure themselves, injure other people and/or damage property. In order to minimise any potential liability and to keep insurance costs down, fisheries managers will start to implement bans even if (Like Chesters) they actually don't mind people having a sensible beer or a class of wine with a midday picnic.

Do I drink on the bank or in the pub prior to a session ? Absolutely !

Do I get drunk ? Not even close. The river is dangerous enough without stacking the odds against survival.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I find myself agreeing with both sides of this argument. I enjoy a cold one when I'm fishing or a warmer in the winter. I even enjoy a glass or two of wine and a classy picnic from time to time.

On the other hand I went to a highland loch the other day and was disgusted by the litter, including bottles, cans and discarded fishing tackle which, by their nature and position, suggested and angling "party"

I hate to see blanket bans, but I can see why some commercials would introduce one.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The problem with a ban is who would enforce it; we would be putting a pretty difficult task on to our bailiffs on most club waters.

We have discussed a ban on KAPS waters at our AGM last year and decided against it for that very reason.

[ 13. June 2005, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.