Ban drinking whilst angling!

Peter Waller

It's the people who are the problem, not the alcohol. I like nothing better than to sit back with a glass of wine on a warm night as the sun is setting - and why not?

The people to be wary of are groups of anglers who turn up with a crate of lager (it's always lager) and make a point of spoiling the enjoyment of everyone else within earshot. It is obvious that there are some people, to whom fishing is merely incidental.

I had the misfortune to be near a group on the Trent last year who drank themselves senseless, then at around midnight, actually got out a chainsaw to slice up a fence and the surrounding trees for their bonfire. They then turned up a stereo so loud that it could probably have been heard a mile away and whooped and hollered until they fell down unconscious. They had young children with them as well, who must have been terrified. Needless to say, it would have been highly unwise to protest to them in person.

You don't need alcohol to fuel a moron though. How many other people have had to stop fishing when a match has finished upstream, purely because of the vast numbers of polythene caster bags that come floating past?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcohol abuse is a major problem in society so it's no surprise that it also affects angling too (just like litter).

As a non-drinker though I don't have the worries about how far I should go etc. Some of the clubs I belong to do have a no alcohol policy though.

Like many others I have seen examples at the water's edge of bad behaviour. I was once on a gravel pit and there was a well-known angler who had drunk so much the night before (he and his friends were pitched up close enough to me for me to see what was happening) that when he had a run in the night he slept right through it.

Check out my weekly Angling Journal at.....Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal

"farnham also ban drugs"

and Alcohol is only a drink right? :D

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Den makes the suggestion that carpers are the worst. Not always so Den, pikers are worse!!

Fishing is seen as an excuse, by some, to go on all nighters. The one-off barbecues or takeaway piza packaging is as much part of that problem as the lager.

Unfortunately it is nearly always the 'lager lout', or the 'bivvy boy' that is the problem, and they don't just fish for carp and pike.

Fishing is just an excuse for many, the freedom to do this great sport of ours a great disfavour.

As has been said, its not the booze that needs banning, its the yob culture, and that is not just restricted to angling.

[ 13. June 2005, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I think one of the problems is that with subjects like alcohol it's quite a sensitive subject, as everybody's opinion is different and often marred (rightly so) by personal experience.

Here's my points on it:

- Drunk people behaving stupidly is not what we want. If the amount of alcohol they took with them was limited then this would solve the problem. They woun't behave like that after onlt 3 or 4 cans.

- A total alcohol ban would on some fisheries would increase the problem elsewhere. Public places like canals would just be a nightmare.

- Anglers could be supplied with a 24ht bailif number to call. If somebody does behave in the wrong way and it is believed to be due to alcohol the bailif could arrive, accompanied by a policeman who will take his fishing lisence off him and take whatever necessary action. The lisence can then be sent to the E/A who can ban this person from ever being allowed a lisence again.

That's my bit

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I don't often drink when I'm fishing although I've been known to take a bottle of good red wine or even a flask of ice cold Pimms if the place or occasion is right. I often have a drink very shortly after fishing though

It would be a shame if 5% of anglers spoiled things for the 95% of us who know how to behave ourselves!

"It would be a shame if 5% of anglers spoiled things for the 95% of us who know how to behave ourselves! "

Spot on peter....

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

I always thought fishing and beer went hand in hand. Have the odd can or two occasionally whilst fishing but its normally the apres fishing stint that appeals to me.

In fact my good lady has on a few occasions asked me why I bother taking my fishing gear and suggested that I just go straight to the pub.

Honestly the cheek of some people

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy