Eel Record

Elton

Cue a stream of anglers at that venue now....

Well....

The bloke who caught it was fishing at his own fishery, and he has already said the exact swim and bait (spicy sausage) he caught it on.

He has a huge opportunity he to make a few bob here me thinks

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

should be a ban on targeting and catching eels, they are 98% depleted, every one counts, so how many go back with hooks down in their guts and bleeding from the gills.

ohh, I hear it was an accidental capture :whistling:

Yeah it was.

The owner of the fishery who caught the eel didn't even know there were eels in there

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

You must have a photograph of both sides of the eel. This must be taken by a proper photograph from a camera ATLEAST 12 MP

The length of the eel must be measured.

The girth must be measured too

DNA must be taken from Eel and angler.

If all of this passes. It will be considered as a record!

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

should be a ban on targeting and catching eels, they are 98% depleted, every one counts

Get yourself some worms and have a day on the lower Severn. You'll never, ever repeat that claim again.

Last week, I was catching them on maggots and luncheon meat and getting hooks bitten off by the ******* things.

• Like 2

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The owner of the fishery who caught the eel didn't even know there were eels in there

That applies to a lot of people and a lot of places.

Hence the parrot cry "eels are an endangered species"

PS ...and yes Barry, I realise you were being ironic

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Dave,

Is

Angling Trust the source of records? Attached

http://www.anglingtrust.net/page.asp?section=41

Phone

No phone, like everything to do with angling, the trust wishes to take over everything and claim that they are the ultimate governing body. A lot of copy and paste goes on with the logo added

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Get yourself some worms and have a day on the lower Severn. You'll never, ever repeat that claim again.

Last week, I was catching them on maggots and luncheon meat and getting hooks bitten off by the ******* things.

The very first summer following the angling take ban there was reports of very many captures in the lower thames.

Part of the evidence produced re arranging the ban, used was a claim that all the eel recorded at the top end of the thames was a count of 50.

Used to do the medway and estuary for many years, 50% of captures was eel, 50% of those the hook was down the guts. So it was all my fault for the decimation, I should be applauded for giving it up. :hypocrite:

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

are eels really in decline? or are we being lied too?

• Like 2

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

are eels really in decline? or are we being lied too?

Whenever I report a massive run of elvers I am told by the prophets of doom that it is an isolated case.

Elver runs in a given river fluctuate - sometimes mediocre, sometimes substantial, sometimes none at all, sometimes massive.

A massive run, despite running the gauntlet of pollution, weirs, predation by piscivorous birds, otters, perch, pike, legal and illegal immigrants, legal and illegal netters, losses by deep hooking of those returned by oh-so-caring anglers, those retained by home-cooked eel pie consumers (and not forgetting the depredations of Barry Luxton :doh: ) has so many millions of elvers that it will take care of eel stocks in that watershed for many years to come. The fact that so few eel "experts" ever witness an elver run suggests they don't know where and when to look.

When I reported stacks of eels of all sizes from bootlaces to several pounds, from my Sussex waters, I was told we were SO lucky, but it wouldn't last.

When my friends who fish westward-flowing rivers reported that maggots and worms became unusable at times because of the number of eels in the rivers, the prophets of doom said the problem (eel decline) was confined to eastern England, backed up by conservationists linking the decline of the Bittern to the absence of eels.

Have just returned from a week fishing the Bure system - had to give up bottom fishing with lobworm due to the eel problem.

....and the Bittern population was "booming" in both senses.

So the answer to your first question is "NO"

Not sure about the second answer - probably different for each eco-worrier

Some may be deliberately lying to protect an entrenched political position (and as Richmal Crompton wrote about William "It is a rare gift to be able to lie so as to convince other people. William had the more common gift of being able to lie so as to convince himself")

Some are well meaning and gullible and tend to believe what vested interests tell them.

Some may have been unable to catch eels and jumped to the conclusion that is because there are none.

Reasons for eel-less theorists vary from a reluctance to leave their armchairs, to fishing in the wrong place, at the wrong time, in the wrong way or all three - look at the way even the fishery owner who caught this recent whopper is reported as saying he didn't know there were eels in his fishery.

Whatever - there are plenty of eels about, and plenty of people in denial of that fact.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...