I Got Hooked

maxaldo

On a related note, I saw a very comical near miss once when pike fishing on one of the Norfolk drains. A guy opposite me had a run, wound down and pulled into the fish. Except that the fish had dropped the bait, and his bait - a whole herring - came shooting out of the water and hit him full in the face with a loud wet 'thwack'!

did you manage to stifle your laughter :huh:

About 10 years ago one of the fly fishing magazines gave away a first aid hook removing kit, it contains anti septic wipes, bandage, dressing and a very cool tool to pull hooks out, it holds the hook at exactly the right angle to pull it out.

I have had this in my fly kit since I received it and as yet have never had the opportunity to use it (which is a good thing)

I have never seen these kits for sale but judging by the replies here it would seem to make sense that we all carried on in each of our kits be it fly, sea, course etc...

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I have just got back from a fishing trip in the lakes, it **** it down every day and i had dreadful sessions of fishing, to make matters worse, my friend who was on the fly, hooked me with a fly which was tied to a barbed hook, the hook went into my cheek about 2 cm under my eye and felt almost impossible to get out, although i managed it in the end, luckily the hook didn't cause to much damage with the barb on the way back out, it wasn't my friends fault, although he did feel bad, but i walked behind him while he was casting, happily oblivious to the danger and thought nothing of it as i'd never been in a predicament like this yet. I regretted that .

Has anyone else had some fishing mishaps such as this one?

ta

The maxster

Was just unhooking a small carp when it decide to flip. Next thing the Carp is loose on the mat and I have a size 6 hook buried in my thumb ! Funnily enough it didn't hurt unless I tried to move it. One of my mates volunteered to take it out with a pair of pliers saying 'It'll only hurt for a few seconds' but being a wimp I wouldn't let him so it was off to casualty. What a lovely place to be on a Friday night !

3 hours later I was seen by this very large West Indian doctor. 'We'll not bother with anaesthetic he says just look away. He then pins my arm to the desk, gets a pair of forceps on the hook and yanks.

Second time it came out but the thought still makes my eyes water ! And I always use forceps now unless on barbless.

Cheers

Ron

Best method if there are two of you is the one detailed in This Link

Here is a variation to use if you have forceps and are by yourself. Same basic idea.

Youtube Video ->
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President