windows easy transfer

chesters1

for some reason windows easy transfer refuses to work in win 8 ,i can run it ,choose what method to use and tell it its my old machine then it comes up with "windows easy transfer is unable to continue ,please reboot the pc and try again" ofcourse rebooting does nothing.in the background a scrolling line is looking for what can be transferred but on OKing the fault report both disappear! (leaving it does nothing either)

also i am supposed to be the administrator but i can right click and run as administrator so i am not !whats going on ?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

What is are you transferring from? What device are you transferring via?

I am transferring no-where but i like to keep a copy tucked away incase the pc goes tits up so i keep all my settings ,in reality i choose a usb hard disk and i save it as my old computer

It will ofcourse be a win8 save

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

youd be better off with something like a shadow copy program mate: easy transfer is a pain in the rear at the best of times.

there are a few out there..like NTi shadow and suchlike.

its not hard to track down your files etc for instance if you copy the entire c:\user\<username> folder with hidden files turned off then you will grab most of your personal program settings and most of your email accounts etc

software like MObackup can export all your emails and addresses etc from outlook or outlook express/mail

drop me a PM and ill link you up with the stuff I use if you wish...you will find it easier in the long run that using easy transfer

Cheers ,i have the moz backup thing its very good ,copy the user folder i presume in a calamity you just copy it backonce you have reinstalled?

Pretty much yeah. Only other things that might be stored elsewhere are Steam game files; some photo album applications and stuff like that. These days software pretty much uses the user folder for everything