Spinning Outfit

leedsunited

What are all the necessities if i want to fish my river for perch and pike spinning ?

What strength line would you reccomend for targeting perch and pike on a medium paced river ?

I think the biggest pike i am likely to catch is 12 lb but average around 3 lb

Thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guessing you are a beginner so this is what I would reconmend

*medium rated rod 15g - 40g (ish)

*fixed spool reel

*25lb+ braid

*15lb+ wire trace

*good sized landing net - no match nets !!

*12inch pliers for unhooking those pike.

*bolt cutters just incase you get a pike deep hooked and need to cut the hook off.

*langing mat

*selection of lures

*extra wire traces + anything else you would like to bring along.

sure others will put down what they bring but this is my set-up.

Joel

[ 12. June 2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: J.K ]

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

I'd add an expensed pike angler aswell, or try to attend a pike teach in before you go after pike if it’s your first time, also a large set of forceps.

24inch pliers for unhooking those pike.

Shurely there mush be shum mishtake :)

With 24 inch pliers Joel you could decapitate them. Most of us settle for something around 10 inches. Other than that, the rest will do fine for general purpose luring where the pike rarely run into double figures

[ 12. June 2005, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Yep sorry I ment 12 inches ... dunno where 24 came from lol thats 2ft !!

bolt cutters .. do a search on google for "mini bolt cutters" you should find some.

25lb braid is minimum imo for lure fishing. if using mono then using 12lb or better 15lb.

seriouse lure anlgers have a different outfit for different species. I have a ultra light weight one for perch and chub fishing, medium for general lure fishing and I have a heavy (jerkbait) set-up.

All 3 set-ups have different rods,reels & lines for the job but the rest remains the same.

imo what I have suggested is the a GENERAL set-up which will cope with most of your needs.

Joel

[ 12. June 2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: J.K ]

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

'imo what I have suggested is the a GENERAL set-up which will cope with most of your needs'

Absolutely.

If you want perch specific or pike specific outfits then you'll need to spend more money.

25lb braid will give you some protection from 'crack offs' with small/medium lures. If you want to use lighter then 15lb mono will do the job but it doesn't have the feel of braid and the stretch in the line coupled with a medium weight outfit will mean that you'll occasionally bump off fish... ie you wont be able to set the hook in the mouth.

[ 13. June 2005, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

My set up for light lure work for Perch and Chub is a 5-25g 7 foot rod with a very small fixed spool reel.

Line is 20lb braid - it sounds heavy I know but dont worry, the diameter is very low - more like 5lb line. Make up wire traces with AFW 15lb 7 strand - twists up fine and is only about 0.20mm.

If you are only using small lures a sturdy pair of sidecutters is all you'll need to cut hooks if the worst comes to the worst.

I also often replace the trebles on a lot of my small Perch spinners with singles as I think they are kinder to their mouths (the telescopic action of the Perch mouth can get really hooked up and damaged)

Cheers

Steve