Spinning Outfit

leedsunited

Certain lures, especially spoons, are often hit as they sink. Therefore it's important to close the bail arm whilst the lure is sinking. If you don't you'll miss more than a few takes!

You may lose a small amount of distance this way, but you'll lose a lot less fish!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SteveP:

I also often replace the trebles on a lot of my small Perch spinners with singles as I think they are kinder to their mouths (the telescopic action of the Perch mouth can get really hooked up and damaged)

And if you do leave the trebles on, crush the barbs flat.

For trout and perch smaller bladed type spinners work well. Trout tend to hit less colourful things (in my experience) and small plain silver spoons have always done very well (round here tin foil works as well as any lure for trout).

For this type of fishing I'd typically use a good strength mono - yes braid is better (which I use for piking) but we are talking about relatively low weight fish and you will definitely know if you hook up with a trout (a 3lb trout can fish as well as most fish). It is wise to consider using a trace, but the shorter 15cm wire jobs are more than adequate for this type of fishing.

Also I am an advocate of shutting the bail arm on hitting water. Yes the lure will effectively drop in the water towards you, but I agree with Burke - many are hit on or very near the take.

I saw you asked about braid prices. If you are after braid we do 250m of 15lb b/s at £12.50 which is a pretty good deal (climax sinking).

Ian W

Just had my first spinning outing of the season, on the Dove.

Caught Brown Trout and Chub on a black Worden Rooster tail (barbs crushed - also makes untangling from your landing net easier)

The kingfishers were busy bombing up and down, saw some nice sized barbel in the shallows on a gravel bar, a swan with her signets and a cuckoo singing softly overhead.

Aaaahhhhh it's good to be back on the river again :):)

Cheers

Steve

[ 18. June 2005, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: SteveP ]

Hello Jeepster its a BMAA stretch near Burton - I love the Dove so much I tend to neglect the Trent a bit.

One of my resolutions for this season was to have a proper go on the Trent, but I still find myself fishing on the Dove :-)

Cheers

Steve

[ 18. June 2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: SteveP ]