british native aquarium

jamiefresh

Hi all i keep a few british native fish in my aquarium eg. 1chub,2roach,1dace,5sticklebacks-1ten spine,7minnows,2tench and a loach ive had them for 9months and they are doing amazingly good i havnt had any deaths, just wondering if any of you lot have a brit native aquarium many thanks jamie :-)

Yes I started one 2 years ago. Only in the past few months have I lost my 2 roach and 3 rudd.

Just stopped eating, nothing wrong with water parameters either as my tench is still eating like crazy with no change in his behavior.

Would be interesting to hear from you once you have had them over 2 years, I'm convinced the recent weather took its toll on them even though water temps have been pretty stable in those 2 years.

How big is your tank and do you have any pics to share ?

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

You have made my day ive been on forums and everyone saying you cant keep them,and at the mo there in a 4ft by 1ft tank but i have a 5ft by 2ft tank waiting untill they get bigger, the biggest fish are the tench and chub around about 3-4inches long the only fish that i have lost were two sticklebacks to the chub :-\ the temp rose to 25c in my tank they all done well through it but did make some ice cubes from there water and stick it in, do you find that the tench come out same time everyday to feed?

My tank is 4ft x 1.5ft x 1ft high. My tench just eats all the bloody time mate, no stopping him. Though he does seem to be more active at night (9pm onward). It used to be like clockwork with all my fish hanging around the feeding area at 9:30pm without fail.

Native tanks can be done and quite easily I dunno why they say it can't be done (probably haven't tried). All my roach and Rudd were wild caught and were tame within about 5 months. The tench I bought.

Up until the roach passed it was going great. Just had a set of unusual circumstances past few months with all sorts of weird goings on in my tank. I don't believe it is because of the fish I'm trying to keep but just pure bad luck :(

Heres a video of them after their first year in the tank:

I don't know how much of an influence ice cubes would have on a tank but you can make a water cooler with an old fridge and do a latice of pipe work inside the freezer with an in/out and a pump.

Might be too late for me now but I'm building one next year before the hot weather starts. It's the only thing I can think of that caused the demise of my roach and rudd.

Have been doing small water changes to keep temps down as temps must have been in the 30c range (no thermometer, they smashed it) but since its been cooler lately the waters been cold to the touch and not warm like a few weeks ago. shoulda listened to Renrag about that when i first got the tank <_< (see thread) he suggested a caravan or worktop style fridge.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Ah my tench comes out at 5ish for an hour the goes back in the rocks,the chub he did hang around with the minnows and roach but now has distanced himself and hangs with the tench as for the ice cubes id freeze a 2ltr bottle with there water and it does knock the temp down by 2c just member tho take water out before ice goes in lol(tank overflow.....doh!) theres a nice place near me its about 3ft wide you just have to bang your net in and theres all sorts in there roach,chub,pike,perch,dace,minnos,sticklebacks all sorts about an inch long you get the odd half pound roach, i went wading just to get some water plants for tank, one of my mates has a 6and a half pound pike in his tank beast of a thing eats like 15minnows aday, id love to keep a pike but havnt got away of keeping it when it gets too large,chub/pike fave fish, have your fish grown to the size of the tank or will they grow more? people say fish grow to the size of the tank but im not sure and ill try to find away to upload pics to this site via phone

There was a time when lots of Pike anglers used to have native species tanks but they used to have lots of deaths.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Yeah of my dads mates who lives in the fenlands has a few tanks but he has them for live bait for pike and zander, its just nice to watch river fish the chubs the boss out of all of them and they are just starting to get a taste for maggots

• 2 weeks later...

My tank is 4ft x 1.5ft x 1ft high. My tench just eats all the bloody time mate, no stopping him. Though he does seem to be more active at night (9pm onward). It used to be like clockwork with all my fish hanging around the feeding area at 9:30pm without fail.

Native tanks can be done and quite easily I dunno why they say it can't be done (probably haven't tried). All my roach and Rudd were wild caught and were tame within about 5 months. The tench I bought.

Up until the roach passed it was going great. Just had a set of unusual circumstances past few months with all sorts of weird goings on in my tank. I don't believe it is because of the fish I'm trying to keep but just pure bad luck :(

Heres a video of them after their first year in the tank:

I don't know how much of an influence ice cubes would have on a tank but you can make a water cooler with an old fridge and do a latice of pipe work inside the freezer with an in/out and a pump.

Might be too late for me now but I'm building one next year before the hot weather starts. It's the only thing I can think of that caused the demise of my roach and rudd.

Have been doing small water changes to keep temps down as temps must have been in the 30c range (no thermometer, they smashed it) but since its been cooler lately the waters been cold to the touch and not warm like a few weeks ago. shoulda listened to Renrag about that when i first got the tank <_< (see thread) he suggested a caravan or worktop style fridge.

Andy, an old beer cooler from a pub will be better than something hacked together from an old fridge ;)

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

i find the ice cubes work i thought id treat my chub to some baby minnows so went down to my local brook which 1 part is 9 ft deep, so i netted loads of small minnows and a 2lb chub lol was shocked when i saw it