Barbel and Pike (and Perch!) in Tidal Rivers?

philocalist

Just wondering what other people thoughts and ideas may be here?

I've access to quite a large stretch of a river where it is still tidal - it's several miles inland, but tidal ebb and flow sees the river change direction of flow completely, and water levels vary by maybe 3 - 5 metres on any given day. Though I say I've got access, ACTUAL access can be very difficult and patchy due to banksides which can vary from almost vertical and thick with trees, to vertical drops down brick sidings (12 feet to the water, even at high tide), or simply very, VERY muddy.

There ARE barbel present in the river here, though my guess is that their location will vary not only on the topography of the river itself, but also is likely massively affected by the constant change in salinity - not a hoge population, but the odd one that does comes out is typically a quite substantial fish.. Likewise perch - unfortunately the only place I've actually managed to locate them is 100% inaccessible except from a boat (not currently an option) - and judging by fins above water there are some serious fish there.

Pike? Large parts of the bankside look like an Alabama swamp when the water is at a decent level, though these are inevitably reduced to mudflats at low tide - it looks more like an alligator habitat than anything else, but I have seen some VERY big predator-strikes on occasion that I've put down to pike.

Now, virtually NO-ONE fishes along here, apart from the very occasional guy trotting further upstream at lower water levels, and the even more occasional guy with a fly-rod looking for the run of elusive sea-trout that are present.

I'd like to think that after so many years I can take a reasonable stab at fish location on typical rivers, but tidal stretches are a complete mystery to me ... has anyone any constructive thoughts or experience of fish location with respect to tides / salinity, and what stages of the tide are likely to be most productive on the river?

perhaps no ones fishes tidal rivers?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

I'd like to think that after so many years I can take a reasonable stab at fish location on typical rivers, but tidal stretches are a complete mystery to me ... has anyone any constructive thoughts or experience of fish location with respect to tides / salinity, and what stages of the tide are likely to be most productive on the river?

Just returned from a trip on the Bure-Thurne-Ant system. These rivers are tidal for many miles inland, and it did seem as if the fish fed well whilst there was a flow (whether up or down) but the slack periods of high and low water were unproductive. We fished (and caught fish) more or less where chance led us to moor up for a meal or for the night, so that is only a general observation.

On the tidal stretches of Sussex rivers (also extending many miles inland) much the same seems to apply. One thing I have noticed is that locating a shoal of roach and catching a few is no guarantee that they will be in the same spot at the same stage of the next tide.

A bit frustrating, and explains perhaps why I very rarely see anyone else fishing such stretches.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• 3 weeks later...

Tidal stretches are my favourite stretches of river but being honest, they're all different so it's pointless trying to give any advice unless your familiar with the place in question. My advice is to get out there and try out some likely looking spots using various techniques until you suss things out. You will suss the place out but you need to put in the time and effort.

Good luck Phil :).

All,

Our tidal rivers vary a great deal in salt content. By a "great deal" I mean as salt increases dissolved oxygen goes down. As Tigger suggests hardly any two are comparable. On our East coast carp live and grow quite large at the minimum DO. They return to fresh water or higher DO to spawn.

Philo, a DO meter is quite cheap - probably less than 10 pounds. I would'nt fish for any freshwater species in water with DO under about 4. It would be a good beginning for your watercraft assessment. Don't know but I would doubt tide levels would have a significant impact other than above.

Phone

All,

Our tidal rivers vary a great deal in salt content. By a "great deal" I mean as salt increases dissolved oxygen goes down. As Tigger suggests hardly any two are comparable. On our East coast carp live and grow quite large at the minimum DO. They return to fresh water or higher DO to spawn.

Philo, a DO meter is quite cheap - probably less than 10 pounds. I would'nt fish for any freshwater species in water with DO under about 4. It would be a good beginning for your watercraft assessment. Don't know but I would doubt tide levels would have a significant impact other than above.

Phone

I'd be interestd in a DO meter, out of curiosity of nothing else ... bet where on earth are you finding them at that price? Even on Ebay they come in somewhere above 200 quid and rapidly rise in price from there!

Philo,

Well, I too looked. Guess I blew that one - sorry. WoW! Mine was a gift from OSU in maybe 1985-9. It is the filter disc I pay for and even they are now $20.00.

Maybe the aquarium industry offers something cheaper. (you need at least a 2 meter cord though(?))

Phone