Carp91,

Carp anglers are "famous" for mixing all their crap together (successfully). I think it is because we have so much idle time whilst fishing. It is VERY difficult to name something you can't catch carp on.

Phone

• Like 1

Phone that's good to hear I'm going for my first proper carp session on Sunday. I've got loads of things to include in my mix. Also from what you say it doesn't seem like I could go much wrong.

What is your opinion on the water to use for groundbait. Some people say to use distilled other day water from the venue. Could rainwater be used?

Carp91

Carp91,

You know of course pond water from the venue is probably the most suitable. Having said that - and being in America where carp are quite easy to catch, I do as well with one kind of water as the next. If I have a choice I usually use the juice or liquid extracted from a bait source (i.e. juice from a can of sweet corn). For some reason, never explained to me Brits think there carp are much smarter than all other carp in the world and meticulous attention must be paid to bait preparation. I doubt it is true.

There are just two kinds of bait. Sweet (alcohol proteins) and animal protein (i.e. fishmeal). By far the best non-food source attractant is the hot stuff in hot sauce or Robin Red.

Phone

(I think it is "fun" to search for the perfect bait of the day.)

Edited by Phone