club rules

hi guys im in a club and have been for 30yrs and a lot of the members are very fed up with the way the club is run ,I have recently started a petition for a VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE against the current committee and what I am unsure about is how many votes do I need before I can submit the petition against them ?

also the currenct chairman was voted in by the committee and not at the annual AGM am I correct in that this cant be don't by the committee and has to be done at the AGM

any advice on this with be helpful

Guest bluedun

In these circumstances one would usually call an extraordinary general meeting, at which you would put forward your motion - objecting to an unconstitutional act for example (which may or may not be the case with your club). Your club's constitution should state the required number of members to support an EGM before one is called. If no figure is stipulated, the rule often used is 1/3 membership.

But do explore informal routes to raise your grievance before taking this step. A petition has no constitutional weight; in other words the committee can ignore it.

Bluedun,

I doubt a "club" has the rule of law. I am on a hospital board that requires 75% to remove an officer the board. There are 9 members - 4 of which are officers.

You're bumping up against a dam. That's what the fish said - damn.

Phone

or go to other club or form your own club

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

once you call the extraordinary general meeting what would be the procedure then as ie can you ask for the present committee to be put up for re elecetion ect .or do you have to give your reasons your against the present committee ect

In these circumstances one would usually call an extraordinary general meeting, at which you would put forward your motion - objecting to an unconstitutional act for example (which may or may not be the case with your club). Your club's constitution should state the required number of members to support an EGM before one is called. If no figure is stipulated, the rule often used is 1/3 membership.

But do explore informal routes to raise your grievance before taking this step. A petition has no constitutional weight; in other words the committee can ignore it.

madness,

Guess I should clear up my question. "Bylaws are a standing rule governing the regulation of a corporation's or society's (fishing club) internal affairs. We only have one constitution. You may know about it.

Phone

Guest bluedun

madness

Sorry not to reply sooner. If you call an EGM, you would have to give some reason (otherwise no one would know what it's about). You could put down a motion of no confidence in the Chairman, or a point of order if the club's constitution was not followed correctly - assuming you have a written constitution. If a majority supports the motion at the meeting, the Chairman would have to stand down. Then nominations would be needed for a replacement, voted on, etc.

Let us know how it goes.