Navigation Rights continued

Andy if you want a lift trying to get pellets banned, I might help, but don't ask me to paddle down the Wensum.

No, I don't want to get pellets banned. And don't worry, I wont ask you to paddle the Wensum with me. I'd like to take you, but I've already spoken to the powers that be, and I'm afraid the truth is that you're not welcome on that river.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

so's carp. :punk:

Please Barry, Corrmorants feed on many sources, dead carp and barbel amongst them. But it's unhelpful to raise the notion of feeding them to these preditors deliibrately.

I'd prefer a balanced 'non-personal' discussion if possible.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

(Remember, in the US it is a non-discussion. No one owns a stream or river unless it begins and ends on the same property). Water rights will be the source of our next civil war if we make it that far.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/aug/11/texas-tragedy-ample-oil-no-water

All this could become quite academic (for some UK rivers at least) if water extraction for fracking lowers over-extracted river levels even more.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon,

That's currently the story of the American West. "Because when the water is gone. That's it. We're gone."

However, the problem of "water ownership" is not limited to the West. Florida is sueing (sp) Georiga. Atlanta, a huge city in Georiga, is using enough more water annually to kill the oyster beds in Florida. South Dakota wants to divert the Missouri River to Texas (for a fee) - - - on and on.

Phone

The fact is that without oil, life (as we know it now) cannot be maintained.

Without water, life cannot be maintained.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

If you know that you have trespassers on your land, you have a duty of care toward them. Putting up a sign that says "Private propery, KEEP OUT" is the only way that you can assume you will not have trespassers. Perhps the signs should also be in the 27 EU languages!!!! With all the lefty lawyers willing to soak the legal aid system, nobody wants people raoming about on their land looking for an excuse to sue, due to injury caused by their own stupidity.

Sorry to disappoint you Jim, but even with such a sign you would still owe the same duty of care to trespassers :-)

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Guest bluedun

{content removed. Newt}

But first of all, why is anyone here attempting to fly the flag for canoeing (except for the one or two who happen to be canoeists too)? This is more than a egalitarian call for free access: angling and canoeing in smaller rivers unavoidably conflict. If you are an angler who fishes these rivers you will know the interference canoes would cause, even leaving aside matters of damage to spawning. Canoeists have access to many miles of river anyway. If there are certain types of water they wish to canoe unavailable at present, I don't suppose it would be impossible to reach some accommodation here, but to demand free access is unrealistic.

Free access for angling is something else. Freshwater fishing in this country is very restricted and in some ways I would like to see wider access. But there is a case against, and this has been mentioned above already I think. Perhaps the Americans here could comment on how the freer access rights in the States works.

Since very few waters (some ponds/lakes but no rivers at all) are privately owned and pieces of a water cannot be privately owned, our system when compared to the UK would be like comparing apples to ducks - totally useless.

A river or any lake/pond that is not totally on private land has no restrictions of access once you are on the water. You cannot trespass on private land to launch but if any portion is public land and you launch, you have access to everything as long as you are on the water. A pond/lake that is owned by the government can place restrictions such as what types/sizes motors you are allowed to use.

The only real universal restriction is that you are not allowed on private land or docks without the owner's permission.

The idea that some person/group/club can own the right of access to a portion of a river or lake simply does not exist over here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

reallly envy the yanks, having got rid of all that useless baggage several hundred years ago.

We didn't really get rid of it. We simply never had it to begin with.

If we had your population density, we might have different rules as well.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President