New blood

Mike_pk_Waters

This is how my week has gone, I have a son and his friend who thanks To crowborough angling club are now well and truely hooked, Lets start on tuesday,

Teaching 7 year olds to cast in the garden has not gone totally according to plan,

1 he is right handed I am left, so the reel has to be changed and then I have to think about everything backwards.

2 after first cast with 2oz lead decided to replace with a rubber as less items ( greenhouse) will need fixing.

3 after ten mins we had managed, to hit the greenhouse twice ( see what the rubber was for now) , caught a 12lb bramble , bounced the rubber of next doors car roof and hook our summerhouse which I may add put up a spirited fight. Final cast concussed the dog who stupidly stood 4 foot in front of Ross.

All this and I am taking the 2 boys fishing in real water tomorrow. Help

We then move to wednesday

A quick summary of this morning, now I have recovered.

Taking 2 seven year olds fishing is up there with invading France in the valour stakes.

Sitting them in separate swims 25 feet apart may have been a mistake.

As fast as I run to one to help unhook, or bait the other one would invariably hook a fish,ear,chair or tree , meaning a 25 foot sprint for an overweight unfit 53 year old. On arriving the first question was have you got the lollipops. This at least was consistent for the whole session.

Letting them cast was also fun, one had the timing completely wrong and so either caught the grass behind or the lily 3 foot in front. When I cast for him as soon as I gave him the rod he would bring in a fish, thereby restarting the whole procedure. Meanwhile the other one ,having worked out his timing on the cast was attempting to beach fish at Eastbourne 12 miles away. I am sure the rod tip was going supersonic at one point. Loose feeding was interesting as well, but the local duck seemed to enjoy it, and was defiantly lower in water when we left.

At one point I was in one swim and the boys were having a discussion in the other.

But with all the mayhem, hooks in various bits of the body, tangles,spilt maggots and strawberry sweet corn stains we had fun and caught loads of fish.

I now know why when I was younger why my dad would take me miles to the lakes, and leave me. He sure had more sense than me.

And then today

The boys fishing this mornings CDAA comp, Ross was 3rd and Patrick 4th, and they did it mostly on their own. Now for a relaxing coffee and a kip

It seems stressful at the time, but at least i have 2 new boys to keep the sport alive.

post-989-0-76228400-1376146986_thumb.jpg

post-989-0-81808200-1376147012_thumb.jpg

post-989-0-93809700-1376147037_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Life is not a dress rehearsal, enjoy it

good report Mike, I'm sure many on here will know exactly what you are going through :thumbs:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Mike,

See above. They could well catch up with John S in species caught. At least it's a goal they can shoot for.

Fine report on the lads. Let us know if they need anything.

Phone

Phone,

I agree thats an impresive list , and a fair target :clap2:

The only thing they need is encouragment, transport and sweets !!!!!

feel so much happier that there out doing things rather than sitting in front of a computer/playstation.

lucky with my local club who have a great attitude and some nice little ponds ideal for them to learn proper things like watercraft and fish handling without camping out for days on end.

Actually to be truthful I enjoy reliving my youth again.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

lucky with my local club who have a great attitude and some nice little ponds ideal for them to learn proper things like watercraft and fish handling

Nice to hear that, particularly as I'm a Vice-President of the club in question.

I fish all over the world, but its nice to go back sometimes to ponds I fished as a lad.

Went to one of them yesterday, and spent the morning catching roach in the rain - might run into you one day.

You are so right about small waters teaching youngsters watercraft.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond,

now there is a shock, I am sure we have met, I am on commitee!! . I have to be proud of the club for its attitude, and proud of the boys for trying to learn and understand. Since I wrote the original Ross has managed to win his first comp (fished over 3 hours in a toal downpour), which at 7 is a great achievement. hopefully we xan encourage more kids to try and fall in love with the wonderful world of angling.

Having read some of your posts about small stream fishing , and living close to lots of those streams has meant many walks looking with the boys, and we have found some interesting things. And on a personal note your comment about trying to catching mullet on the fly has meant I am going to have to go to lewes real soon!

Fishing is so much more than catching carp after carp, and 1 wish more youngsters could do what i did as a child. Today its seems if you dont catch a 'double' then its not worth going. What happened to the pride of catching a 2oz roach from the local park. Maybe I am trying to relive my youth , but thats only because I enjoyed it so much.