Just got back in from a great trotting session :)

Tigger

I've had some more great days out recently but today was on a local small stream and it was a prolific session with lots of chub, perch, roach, dace and couple of pesky pike. The roach where of a decent stamp up to approx a pound and in mint condition. The dace were nearly all of a good size, this one was about the average size...

fgrl.jpg

Anyone guess it's weight ?

Edited by Tigger

Nice dace Ian. Around 11"? So about 10oz'ish.

Some good dace in that river Ian. The day me and you fished it in the rain I had some good ones and weighed one at 12oz. Not bad for the middle of summer......

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I measrued my hand and I reckon the fish was just over 12 inches counting it's tail so it was a long'sh fish but not the deepest of bodies. Those dace do seem to vary in shape quite a lot.

Edited by Tigger

That's a whacking great dace, nice one Tigger! The biggest dace I've ever seen was 10oz, and I reckon that's bigger. It's very long but not especially fat (from the photo), so I would hazard a guess at about 12-13oz?

Thanks for putting the photo up.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

My biggest is 12oz, it wasn't as long as yours Ian, but had a bit more meat on it, so I'd guess similar to Andrew, or maybe a bit more.

A lovely looking fish though.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I measrued my hand and I reckon the fish was just over 12 inches counting it's tail so it was a long'sh fish but not the deepest of bodies. Those dace do seem to vary in shape quite a lot.

Nice one Ian. Sounds like a gooden. Would be nice to find it again in Feb. :-)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Nice one Ian. Sounds like a gooden. Would be nice to find it again in Feb. :-)

Mmm, worth a try Bri. I've heard the best time for them during the colder months in the mouth of the stream where it leaves the flash, apparantly they shoal up there maybe feeding on bits washing out.

I never weighed it, I was just curious what kind of weight people would estimate it at. It was far from being the biggest, i'd say the average size of the dace caught. My own estimantion would have been about 8 to 10 ounces but as we all know without weighing we'll never know what it weighed it might have been either side of that weight. I think to weigh dace, roach and infact all the smaller species properly you'd need some very accurate scales designed specificaly to weigh light weights. My scales only weigh in ounces so not really up to the job. I know alot of people don't like them but I would imagine some good digi's would suite the task.

Funnily enough that was the reason I first bought digis, to weigh the smaller species. The ones I had were rubbish (Rapala), I remember weighing a dace once much smaller than that and them telling me it weighed 2lb 1oz.

A decent set of mechanical scales weighing in ounces should give you a good reading, I'd love to know what those dace weigh. Sounds amazing fishing!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music