Just got back in from a great trotting session :)

Tigger

Fingers crossed for mild temp's then :)

A lot depends on the weather patterns we get, but what I've found in the past is if it just starts to get colder with out a lot of extra water, it will be the chub that drop back to the deeper water first. The barbel probably won't feed but will stay where they are and feed again if it warms up again. Seems to take very cold weather or a good sized cold flood to push the barbel back to the deeper winter pegs.

What i think you will find depending on where you are fishing and what the weather does is if it just gets steadily colder they will start to group together in the slightly deeper holes. If you catch them spots on a good day, even with no tennis elbow you will need to keep swapping hands with the rod.

Get popping them pain killers Ian, there might be time for another 300 yet. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I had no plans to go fishing until next week but found myself free to do as I pleased at 3pm...trotting immediately sprang to mind, so off I went icon_cool.gif .
On my arrival at the river I noticed it had dropped a few more inches from my last visit and lost it's colour so it was flowing pretty much clear.
Since time was getting on I started fishing as soon as poss and on my third trott through I hooked up with a barbel that dragged my line through boulders etc below the surface damaging it to the extent that I had to re-tackle before resuming fishing. In fact the swim was so full of snags and boulders I had to re-tackle another three times during the session. Here's a picture of the damage the boulders to to the line....

spacer.gifk4ct.jpg

After catching my ninth fish I said to myself tenth fish coming up and it'll be a ten pounder...guess what..it was !!! It weighed 12lb so minus the 1 1/2lb net the fish weighed 10lb 8 ounces icon_huray.gif .
That's my first double on the float, or at least the first one I can guarrante was a double as when i've caught others that looked to be over 10lb i've had no scales so couldn't say they where.
I caught 12 barbel altogether but the double alone would have given me that satisfied feeling on it's own icon_e_smile.gif .
There were a couple of nice fish just topping 9lb amongst them also and they all fought like tigers ...

spacer.giftkg7.jpg

spacer.gifd9ld.jpg

spacer.gifl3o5.jpg

spacer.gifxnxd.jpg

spacer.gif8wbt.jpg

spacer.giflbh6.jpg

spacer.gifzdyx.jpg

spacer.gif07ex.jpg

spacer.gif9tpb.jpg

spacer.gif2c8s.jpg

spacer.gifb2f3.jpg

This is the double...

spacer.gifurp7.jpg

shareon_facebook.png

• Like 1

Nice one Ian. Some good looking fish and well done on the double. :thumbs:

Looks like their fighting fit and starting to fill out for winter a bit. Get some ice on the elbow.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Nice one Ian. Some good looking fish and well done on the double. :thumbs:

Looks like their fighting fit and starting to fill out for winter a bit. Get some ice on the elbow.

Brian, I was so chuffed with the double :clap2: , I thought I was gonna' have to catch every fish in the river before I got the blighter.

I can't get over how I kept saying to myself the tenth one will be a ten pounder, and it was, I mean how wierd is that !

As I've said before, wow!

Cheers P :).

How did your lure session go ?

Viney, it did give a excellent account of it's self but there were several others not much lighter than the double that felt about the same.....great ! :). I know a lot of people have had a slow season but i've been very lucky and had a stormer..best ever for barbel.

Cheers P :).

How did your lure session go ?

Viney, it did give a excellent account of it's self but there were several others not much lighter than the double that felt about the same.....great ! :). I know a lot of people have had a slow season but i've been very lucky and had a stormer..best ever for barbel.

You've had everyone else's share of the barbel ;)

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Many congratulations, Ian! you certainly are having a great season!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net