Just got back in from a great trotting session :)

Tigger

Tigger,

I kinda did a look at first set - last set of pics. Are the spaceship lice gone?

Phone

Phone,

I haven't seen the spaceship lice for a while now and the barbel have stopped leaping about, it seems that it was those spaceship buggs irritating them and making them jump.

I had a couple of hours later on this avey, it was a bit slow and I thought I might even BLANK !....but luckily due to my superiour skill and angling talent I didn't icon_cool.gifrolling.gifrolling.gif .
Narrh, no skill or talent but I changed swims a couple of times and eventually hooked up with a barbel of about 6lb. A few trotts later and I got another one of 8lb and then another of about 7lb. I got a chub of about 3 1/2lb. Next fish I hooked was a very nice trout. When I wound the trout in I was stood mid river in some pretty fast water so as I pulled the fish upstream towards me the rod was pulled over a bit, as I reached to get hold of the line the hook pulled out of the trout and as the rod tip sprang back with a bit of force the hook was pulled into my hand icon_eek.gif

I was glad it was barbed as a barbless would have gone in much deeper, only problem was the hook was stuck quite firm and refused to come out so I had to go bankside for my forceps. I gave it a hard pull and it was out and I was able to resume trotting. I hooked something which i'm sure would have been a barbel but it took me into a snag and I lost it. That was on the point of darkness so I would not be able to see the float any longer and I could hear my Mrs homemade apple and jam sponge pudding and custard calling me home .

hg59.jpg

j1e1.jpg

e5ip.jpg
Edited by Tigger

Out of curiosity tigger do you tend to trot with maggot? (looking through your pics there's quite a few with double red?) And what size hook?

I know I said I wouldn't look in on your thread anymore I just can't help it, would love to have a stretch of river like yours!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Out of curiosity tigger do you tend to trot with maggot? (looking through your pics there's quite a few with double red?) And what size hook?

I know I said I wouldn't look in on your thread anymore I just can't help it, would love to have a stretch of river like yours!

The hook in my hand is a kamasan animal 14's barbed. I put ten or more mixed red and white maggots on it and don't bother about masking the hook as it just doesn't seem to happen. I also use one, two or more kernal's of sweetcorn with some maggots on the hook also (just pull a kernal or two up the shank and even just onto the line). The hook just pulls through it all on the strike.

I know it might look like the same stretch as I put the fish on grass to photo but I don't just fish one stretch Viney, I fish numerous one's, there all good..... sometimes :).

Nice one Ian, keep them coming. Can't see a frost on the forecast yet. :thumbs:

I won't be able to go for a bit now Brian so todays was my last session for a while. The water felt cooler today than yesterday and i've heard we have some cooler weather on the way, not really cold just cooler so when I get another chance to fish they might have gone off trotted baits, I'll have to see.

I won't be able to go for a bit now Brian so todays was my last session for a while. The water felt cooler today than yesterday and i've heard we have some cooler weather on the way, not really cold just cooler so when I get another chance to fish they might have gone off trotted baits, I'll have to see.

Didn't fish last weekend, so first day back in it today for a couple of weeks. Yep its getting colder. :cold:

With that north wind blowing, I didn't last long ,about 3 hours and i was feeling it. Was a little slower, but i did get a few chub and a couple of barbel for luck. So they are still there and it might be a little warmer next week.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Didn't fish last weekend, so first day back in it today for a couple of weeks. Yep its getting colder. :cold:

With that north wind blowing, I didn't last long ,about 3 hours and i was feeling it. Was a little slower, but i did get a few chub and a couple of barbel for luck. So they are still there and it might be a little warmer next week.

Nice one Brian, i've not been able to get out bud. Good to hear the barbel are still having a nibble on trotted baits. Your right about the temp's, is getting a bit chilly and the wind makes it feel colder than it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get out trotting at 3pm this avvey. My local big river was a no-no due to high water rattling through and I knew the small river was up and coloured also; but the better option as it's only 5min's from out front door icon_e_smile.gif. It was pretty tricky trying to get bites but I did manage to get a few fish...due to my superior skills icon_cool.gif . I nearly always use 6lb sensor straight through to the hook on this river as it contains lots of snags but today I spooled up 4lb by mistake , which turned out to be a bad mistake as the first fish I managed to make contact with felt like a breeze block and wouldn't do as it was told, I tried to bully it as much as poss without snapping the line or my rod for that matter but when it wanted to go I had to let it, it was just so powerfull ! I was forced to follow it downstream forgetting about a sunken tree that wasn't visible today due to the extra water and the incoming tide pushing it back making it deeper still. Anyhow, the fish managed to get into the tree and that was it...game over, lost my float also....barsteward ! I haven't got a clue what the fish was, it could have been a crocodile for all I know, I just couldn't get it up off the bottom to see it.
After that I managed a few chub and some nice dace. I had 12 maggots on a 14's kamasan animal hook but the dace still managed it...

zlki.jpg

a6s3.jpg

toqu.jpg