Just got back in from a great trotting session :)

Tigger

For me it depends on the method, and especially how many (and what size they were) fish of a species I've caught before. I'd much prefer to lure fish for zander and catch a load of small ones than bivvy up and fish baits for 1 big one, for example. But if I'm roach fishing or chubbing I'd much rather sit it out for 1 special fish than catch loads of average ones.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I decided to go for a quick trotting session this afternoon. I got to the river at 3pm and it was pretty coloured and up about 8 or 9 inches on my last session. It was actually dropping off from having hed about 6 or 7ft on it in recent days. If you use a pin but can't cast then my chosen spot wasn't fishable...lucky for me I can cast quite well :). It was action from the first trott pretty much untill i'd had enough. I did take some pic's but it became a chore and I soon gave up and unhooked the fish mid river. Here's the pic's I did take...

6c79.jpg
wub4.jpg
kcih.jpg
0dhu.jpg
4c30.jpg
c6nw.jpg
7zla.jpg
8rg5.jpg
dbpt.jpg
4dt8.jpg
yhkq.jpg

Guys,

Ahh - the eternal question. One speciman or 10 acceptable fish.

Phone

Depends on the occasion Phone, see JV44’s post about last weekend. The idea was to drink beer and eat well with a mate, when we weren’t drinking beer or eating we were fishing and what we caught didn’t matter so it was a total success (I did win the competition though by virtue of a couple of chublets).

By contrast at the end of last season I went to a banker swim with the sole intention of catching 3lb plus perch. Conditions were perfect and I just ‘knew’ that I was within spitting distance of angling god status. I caught nothing and it mattered, everything was right but there was no cigar.

I prefer drinking beer.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Depends on the occasion Phone, see JV44’s post about last weekend. The idea was to drink beer and eat well with a mate, when we weren’t drinking beer or eating we were fishing and what we caught didn’t matter so it was a total success (I did win the competition though by virtue of a couple of chublets).

By contrast at the end of last season I went to a banker swim with the sole intention of catching 3lb plus perch. Conditions were perfect and I just ‘knew’ that I was within spitting distance of angling god status. I caught nothing and it mattered, everything was right but there was no cigar.

I prefer drinking beer.

With you both on that one! Anyway who wants to be an angling god?

Had another few hours on the river today. For some wierd reason I lost at least 8 fish after playing them for 5 or so minuites, then the hook pulled...very strange.

I had a good number of barbel (I think it was 18) and 6 nice chub with a few dace in the mix. A few pic's as usual...

54vm.jpg
sdxz.jpg
ne86.jpg
vp29.jpg
kwou.jpg
jwxc.jpg

Tigger,

VERY nice fish today. I see you haven't yet had a chance to spray paint todays reel red like the one you used the other day. Do you use Rust-Oleum? I find Rust-Oleum freshens an old rod very spiffer.

Phone

Tigger,

VERY nice fish today. I see you haven't yet had a chance to spray paint todays reel red like the one you used the other day. Do you use Rust-Oleum? I find Rust-Oleum freshens an old rod very spiffer.

Phone

Phone,

Yeah, they where some nice looking fish, thank's.

Narrh, good as it is, and it is a top drawer reel, one red reels enough for me bud :).

Babies wets ones for cleaning the rods and sewing machine oil for the reels.

Simple curiosity :D You're (I think?) fishing the same swim, or a very similar one in conditions that are probably very much alike ... what makes you decide on one reel over another? Just a simple whim, or something more specific? :g:

Simple curiosity :D You're (I think?) fishing the same swim, or a very similar one in conditions that are probably very much alike ... what makes you decide on one reel over another? Just a simple whim, or something more specific? :g:

No different swims. The river had dropped about 8 inches from the other day and the water was much clearer which makes a big difference to various swims and how they fish. Because the river had a bit of water on it the other day I used a super tench rod which has slightly more power than the normark Avenger I used today making it easier to control the fish in the more powerfull flow.

I used the revolver the other day because it was quite windy in that swim and it has a lineguard which does help keep the line from wrapping round the back of the reel and you can still cast easy enough with it which you need to do in the swim I was fishing.

Went for a last summer chubbing fish this afternoon. I was doing ok till the barbel took a liking to my bread. This one finished things off in the end as it took me an age to get it out of the swim. 10lb on the dot, but just a shame its belly didn't match its head and shoulders.

post-10964-0-37331100-1377552012_thumb.jpg

September next. Might rig a heavier float rod up and have a play with some different tactics for the barbel this year.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep