A New Fishing Spot - Hot or Not?

iaminneedofhelp

Hi,

I have a new river ( my friend said I can fish there) and I was wondering whether it looks good. I also need to know what sort of rigs are good for this type of fishing. The speed of the river is medium. Should I use bite alarms ( preferred) or what? Just need info on whats up. Here is the stretch of river:

AVCUYcR.jpg

Thanks in advance and I cant wait to hear from you guys.

- iaminneedofhelp

What are you trying to catch? From the overhead pic its hard to tell a lot about the depth, features etc.

Possible starting point would be a trotting a float with maggot, corn or bread, or a maggot feeder with a quivertip. I would say leave the bite alarms at home and use a float or quivertip

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

A clue about the location would help.

If it's on the outskirts of southampton, the species present and best approach are likely to differ somewhat from the species present and best approach if it's on the outskirts of Abberdeen.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Wow! Thanks so much for all the replies. I feel the general feeling is floats, what will I catch on floats and do you mean big chunky ones or the little diddy ones. This is the river severn in shrewsbury. What bottom feeding fish are found in rivers and is it worth sticking in a rod and fishing floats on the others? Thanks for all the advice and once again, wow!!

Peter lures are banned on that stretch. EA rules to protect the salmon. That stretch is a prolific barbel stretch and is obviously very heavily fished. Admittidly from the far bank on the other side of the island.

So i'd go for barbel rod 10lb main line 8lb leader. Pellets to start with a 6/8mm on the hook. Either a swim feeder or pva mesh to feed. A sea food/crab boilie might work to.

Alternativly a float rod dragging a small piece of meat should pick up the smaller barbel.

fill it in with pellet and hemp and fish a large chunk of meat or donkey chocker on a bolt rig with a PVA bag of pellet and hemp then sit back drink some bear and wait for the rod to slam around fishing is simple but made complicated by simple people

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

large chunk of meat or donkey chocker

Both baits lost their effectivness many years ago. Simply due to the vast number of anglers using them. Scaling down the pellet size worked. On the map Sydney Ave is shown, this runs just yards from the river with pegs cut every 15/20 yards. Parking is at the peg you fish, so as I said previously this stretch gets hammered. Granted the section to the right of the island is restricted to the house owners so its not heavily fished. The island is covered in mature trees so lots of overhanging branches and roots in the water.

I have fished Sydney Ave as its probably the closest section of the Severn to me. I dont like it as its to busy for me prefering a quiter fishing session.

Another good bait would be lob worm legered on a size 6 hook.(check first as that bait might be banned to.)

Sydney Ave is directly below a weir which does hold Salmon hence all the restrictions.

http://www.shropshireanglersfederation.in/sydney.htm

Ok, I have decided to take two rods, one on float and one on bottom. The bottom one will have a method feeder with some kind of ground bait ( suggestions?) and a 2-3ft hook length and then some bait at the end (suggestions?). With the float I would fish the floor for barbell too with a plumbed line to get it sitting on the bottom. What other species can I fish for? And ANY suggestions are welcomed with open arms. Thanks,

- iaminneedofhelp

I would use a cage feeder rather than a method feeder with a halibut groundbait plug at one end, fill with pellets then put another groundbait plug at the other end with a hair rigged pellet... But as grumpybum has made a point that the fish have become wary of pellet then a nice big lobworm on a size 6 with a maggot feeder would be a good bet.

As for the float rod maggots/corn/bread/worm every time.

I don't know the river but at a guess there will be:

Barbel

Chub

Perch

Dace

Roach

Possibly carp, tench and bream?

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88