another newbie wanting to start

Andy_1984

may aswel get a coffee cause theres some reading involved:

hello there i have been coming to this forum for a day or 2 now and found the search function to be realy useful in my quest to get into the sport.

now i dont yet know all the terms used and technical stuff so your probably going to have to tell it to me in a langauge i can understand. i used to do a little bit of fishing when i was a lot younger down at the david livingstone memorial in Blantyre never caught anything except weeds. ok so lets get down to busines.

the sort of fishing i want to do is with a float ya know spinning rod & reel flot bobs up n down that sort of thing but as im wanting to seriously get into the sport im not gonna sit on some crapy river and hope for the best im thinking of going to places like lochs large calm rivers ponds and canals im not fussy what fish i catch as long as its not pike, heres a rough idea of what im after http://www.fishcoarse.co.uk/pages/otherspe...om=FishScotland

i live in cowcaddens in glasgow and i live right next to the forth & clyde canal(port dundas which is currently getting a new look and they are linking it to another part of the canal where it was broke off) its a 5 min walk and even better i have the glasgow angling center 15 minute walk away so now i know what im after the hard part comes, what to get and how to use it.

i have been searching these forums and other sites to give me a rough idea of what to get so that i dont go into the store and get laughed at for buying a kids rig or somthin. all i have come up with is rod and reel the rest i have no idea what to get, here are my choices of rod & reel

Rod:

Ron thompson hard core spin (7 or 8 ft or should i go larger keep in mind im not only going to fish canals)

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/O...hompson_32.html

Reel:

Okuma interceptor

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/O...e_Okuma_58.html

im not to sure if this suits my needs but im also willing to get any other reel on the above page

then the rest is a blur, i know i need hooks weights and all that but what exactly do i need, hook size weight size all that tech stuff ?

i have a £100 budget to get me started

p.s im 20 years old if thats any use

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy, if it's mainly float fishing that you want to do, then don't buy a short spinning rod. You need something of 12 or 13 ft, and there's lots of good value "match" type rods to choose from that will handle lines of up to 4lb b.s.

If you want one rod that will perform a variety of tasks, then a twin tip barbel or Avon rod (like the Shimano Hyperloop or the Masterline John Wilson Avon) should fit the bill.

A 7 or 8 ft spinning rod is fine for just that (spinning), but not much elese.

hmm i think i might have made a mistake with the float thing, float fishing is from a boat or wading ? i got it wrong sorry i dont realy know what it all is yet but what i want to do is sit on the edge of a river lake,loch,pond, canal with the little float thing goin under to tell me i got a bite. but after i have become more dvanced at fishing id still like to use my rig i bought and do somthing diffrent like maybe take a little boat out on the loch

finding it hard to wrap my head around all this

[ 25. July 2005, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Andy_1984 ]

Andy Chapmans angling are doing an offer of a Float rod and reel and a Feeder Rod and reel for £80.00 for the full kit including a holdall.

Look at http://www.chapmansangling.co.uk/acatalog/...utfits.html#a95

The outfit was favourably reviewed by the Angling times look at: www.chapmansangling.co.uk

This should get you started, with the right gear for coarse fishing.

[ 25. July 2005, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

You can float fish from the bank.

I would suggest buying a

* john wilson avon system rod

* Not sure on reels but the one your looking at may be a little to big

* 4lb fishing line

* A selection of hook sizes 18 - 14 will cover most species

* A selction of drennan crystal floats

* A selection of disgorgers or forceps (for unhooking fish)

* landing net and handle

* a box of shott (to help setting up the float)

Thats about it I think, I cant name specific products but im sure others will.

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

tony i would preffer to go to my local tackle shop (glasgow angling center) but that store does have some good deals there.

j.k thanks ill keep those in mind.

keep them coming please :)

i thought anything over 8ft would be a little to big for me atm. i had the measuring tape out earlier and 8ft seems about right, but what do i know.

Andy

Have a word with Glasgow Angling Centre as they own Chapmans and might be able to match the deal.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

tony i thought there was somthing.. dare i say it "Fishy" about that site looks same as glasgow angling centers. im trying to get my self clued up as much as i can before i go speaking to these professionals, not that you guys arent but im trusting these guys with my £100

Forget about the 8ft rod for float fishing, it would be more or less useless.

always use atleast 12ft for float fishing, it lets you have much better control over the end tackle.

hmmmm really

Andy,

I think some more research is in order before you hand over any cash! You've got some good advice from the people here, you should also call in at your local tackle shop when it's not busy and have a chat with the staff. They should be able to tell you what kinds of fishing are available locally and point you in the right direction for tackle.