another newbie wanting to start

Andy_1984

Andy, I was in your situation a few years ago. I'd agree with others that what you want to get started and give you the best chance of catching fish as soon as possible is a combination of :

- 12/13ft match rod

- suitable reel loaded with 4/5lb line

- float, shot, hooks

As you've discovered you can trawl through the internet for hours and be none the wiser as to exactly what make & model to get, but have a good idea about the items you want. So, my advice would be to put your faith in fishermankind, they're always happy to help and share knowledge.

I'm sure that if you went to Glasgow Angling Centre and explained what you want to achieve, what tackle items you've got in mind, they'll do a great job for you. Remember, they will know the places you are thinking of fishing so can give advice, plus they'll know that if they look after you now, you'll probably be back in to spend more money every week ! Good luck. Nic

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys so yes i think i will probably be going for float fishing ive been reading more and more about it and i think it suits my needs more but i never imagined you would need such a big rod to do this. i have been reading this site and i think its the best option for me to start with http://www.coarsefish.net/float.htm

damn 12ft seems donting at first and practacing on my canal will be sorta hard as its not very wide but im sure further up the forth & clyde is much larger.

also would a float rod be suitable to try out spinning ? i also like the look of this fishing moethod

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy, what a great site you found for starting at step 1.

12ft sounds a lot, but, due to modern materials you'll be amazed how light weight it is and easy to control when you get you hands on one. However, you'll need different tackle to go spinning.

I'd stick to the route your heading, get back into fishing, catch fish, understand fish and their habits, then you could make the next step into spinning or targrtting specific species of fish.

• 3 years later...
holy crap did i actualy sound like that way back then ?

I was starting to get a bit confused for a minute! :)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

holy crap did i actualy sound like that way back then ?

I especially like this bit of your first post Andy.

im not fussy what fish i catch as long as its not pike,
:D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John